The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Welcome, my friend! I am Tobar the Ferryman, and this fine vessel is the Duchess Gambit. We're just back from Point Lookout, but it won't be long before we set off again. Interested?”
Tobar is the captain of the steamboat Duchess Gambit, a ferry with which travelers, including the Lone Wanderer, can venture from the Capital Wasteland to Point Lookout, Maryland. In his youth, he was an adventurous and sprightly fellow whose curiosity took him up and down the coast from "the Commonwealth to the Broken Banks". Regardless of the veracity of his claims, he is a living reminder that the world will always have a place for the savvy and charming trickster. The Duchess was a small sightseeing vessel used for tourist excursions along the Chesapeake Bay before the War. Tobar’s grandfather found her and, with the help of his caravan, restored the boat's boiler, allowing the vessel to be powered by steam heat from any fuel that will fit inside the burner. Although Tobar is slow to venture anywhere far from the safety of his ship, money is a powerful motivator for him and he'll do most anything to turn a buck.
He takes on passengers whenever possible and always chews the scenery to sell a riverboat ticket. Nevertheless, he is quite knowledgeable about Point Lookout and its various locales, like the conveniently close House of Wares (from which he gets a commission for referring travelers), the old Homestead Motel for a place to stay, the high-rollers hunting club in the coastal grotto, or the abandoned Calvert Mansion filled with pre-War treasures. When he is not grifting "deals" to travelers, he is bartering with local merchants, like Haley or Madame Panada. Not only does he usually negotiate a considerable fare from his passenger, but most who visit the commune at Point Lookout join it, each time creating a new opportunity for Tobar to earn his next Punga shipment. Tobar has long since decided that something must be off about that fruit, and he has not touched the stuff since.
Tobar has various ports along the Atlantic Seaboard. His current career as a ferryman revolves around the Punga fruit produced by the Point Lookout tribals. The tribal leader of the fruit farmers has struck a gruesome bargain with the ferryman is permitted to export the considerable surplus of Punga fruit produced by the commune every month, although Tobar is wary to reveal his supplier. This is because the deal allows Tobar to acquire punga fruit in exchange for performing lobotomies on the tribal cult initiates. Strangely, he kept the parts of the brain he removed as "trophies". When confronted, he taunted the Lone Wanderer about their "spirit walk", and attempted to justify his actions by stating it is what he needed to do to survive, and that the Lone Wanderer has killed far more people than he has. Afterward, he attacked the Lone Wanderer and was killed.
Tobar stays at his boat waiting to take you back and forth as you please, and to trade merchandise with you and the others in Point Lookout.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a merchant.||Caps: 800-900|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- The Local Flavor: Tobar transports the player to Point Lookout and will mention to them there are untold treasures that lie within the swamps. When you arrive in Point Lookout, he remarks about the smoke coming from Calvert Mansion and encourages you to check it out.
- Hearing Voices: It is explained by Nadine that when people are rendered unconscious by the Mother Punga, Tobar sneaks into the Sacred Bog and removes a part of their brains.
Effects of player actions
- Tobar sells punga fruits, in both refined and wild variants, and most importantly riverboat tickets to Point Lookout. The tickets are 300-400 caps each depending on your Barter skill.
Roving trader hat
|Scoped .44 Magnum|
Drops on death
- "Welcome, my friend! I am Tobar the Ferryman, and this fine vessel is the Duchess Gambit. We're just back from Point Lookout, but it won't be long before we set off again. Interested?"
- "Welcome to Point Lookout, my friend! The trip was fine, the weather's nice and damp, and everything out there looks pleasant as ever! Looks like nothing's changed since my last visit... except all that smoke I saw on the way in."
- "Well, if it isn't my favorite traveler! And oh, what a trip you were on! Why, when you were under, you should have heard some of the things that came out of your mouth! But I suppose you're more interested in what came out of your head, aren't you?"
- "Looking for fame and fortune? Hoping to cultivate the delicious Punga fruit? Or just looking to run away from your life on these dreary shores?"
- "Now, I'm not normally one to discourage an adventurous spirit, but certain... events have convinced me of the value of forewarning. I know you think you're ready for anything, but the threats you'll face in the swamp make those super mutants look like playful puppies. So just be sure you know what you're getting into, okay? You still want to head out to Point Lookout?"
- "You look like a man/woman who's been around the wastes, so I'll cut right to it. In Point Lookout, you'll find fresh-grown food, mysterious locales, and treasures as-of-yet un-looted. But keep your wits about you, because there's more than a few exotic critters and inhospitable locals. So stay here if you're not man enough!/too dainty to rough it! "
- His outfit has a name tag from its previous owner (Chris), which has been scratched out with marker and replaced with "Tobar" written above the tag.
- Tobar is considered a plot-essential non-player character until the end of the Hearing Voices quest, at which point he becomes killable after Nadine confronts him and locks him in the ship's engine room.
- Unlike the majority of non-player characters, Tobar the Ferryman levels with the player, which can make him somewhat tougher than normal at higher levels. However, there's nothing special about his health or stats, and even at level 30, he's quite easy to dispatch.
- Tobar has a bonesaw, forceps, and tweezers in his shop inventory, alluding to his involvement in the main quest in Point Lookout.
- With a high Sneak skill and the Chinese stealth suit, it is possible to steal Riverboat Tickets from Tobar (though this is very difficult). Due to the way the game is coded, Tobar will treat them like normal, purchased tickets.
- Sometimes if the player skips the encounter with Tobar when first arriving in Point Lookout, if the player returns to the Capital Wasteland before completing the main quests, Tobar might not be found after arriving back at the River Boat Landing.
- If you had been using Chinese stealth armor and crouching when you entered the engine room, Tobar will speak to you, draw his weapon, then walk out of the room. He will then enter again and become friendly. But if you speak to him again, you will repeat the same dialogue and he will again become hostile.
- Very rarely, sometimes if you knock him unconscious, he will stay standing, then fall and get back up as he regains consciousness.
- If you speak to him after entering Point Lookout, the caption will say "Good day traveler" but Tobar will not say anything and his mouth will not move. This continues until you press the button that skips through conversation.
- If missing, Tobar may be found exploring the map. In one such occasion he was found, by accident, swimming near a boat-wreck south of the Disaster relief outpost. Upon interacting with him, he simply asked if we were ready to head back, and immediately began swimming/walking back towards the Duchess Gambit.