Fallout: New Vegas locations project
The Cuckoo's Nest
Situated east of the X-7a "Left Field" artillery launch, The Cuckoo's Nest is a circular cave with a large outcropping in the center. The cave appears to be a lobotomite den and is littered with corpses, piles of flesh, makeshift shelters and beds and what appears to be a shrine to The Toaster. There are several hostile lobotomites within the cave including the unique lobotomite, Test Subject 1.
- The Sink Project: Toaster holotape can be found to the right immediately upon entrance on the bottom of a shelf on a makeshift toaster shrine.
- A protonic inversal axe is on the body of Test Subject 1.
- Several proton throwing axes at the west corner of the main cave beside the cage.
- A number of dolls, resembling those coveted by the swampfolk of Point Lookout are hanging from the I.V. stand beside the surgical table near the back of the cave.
- Below the slope that leads to the cave opening are four graves which can be opened with a shovel. They tend to contain ammunition and/or weapons.
- As you approach the cave opening, just below it to the right at the bottom of the slope, there is a shiny locker with an Old World Flag painted on its door in blue. Presumably it was painted by Ulysses, whether he intended it to mark this place specifically or if it was moved here by a lobotomite from elsewhere is unknown.
- Lobotomites will repeatedly respawn if the cave is cleared earlier.
- This location is prone to slow-down. The area around it may lag significantly, making the cave nearly impossible to get to, and made even more unpleasant by the horde of lobotomites wandering around outside. The lag seems similar to that found in Westside when fast-traveling to Miguel's Pawn Shop, prior to the recent patches.
Behind the scenes
- This area is a reference to the 1962 novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, where the main character had electroshock "therapy" conducted on him to render him docile.
- In addition, there is a much more (and somewhat comically) literal reference to the title "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" in that the giant artillery gun is aimed to fire a shell almost directly over this area.
Location of the Toaster's holotape