Raw physical strength. A high Strength is good for physical characters.”— Fallout In-game description
- 1 Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics
- 2 Fallout 3
- 3 Fallout: New Vegas
- 4 Fallout 4
- 5 Lionheart
- 6 References
Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics
Strength is primarily relevant to two game mechanics: Carry Weight and satisfying the Minimum Strength requirements on weapons. You gain 25 lbs. of carry weight per point of Strength (unless you have the Small Frame trait, in which case it's 15). Also, if you meet the minimum strength requirements of your weapon you do not suffer accuracy penalties with that weapon.
Ways to increase Strength
- Wearing T-51b power armor increases Strength by 3. Advanced power armor increases Strength by 4.
- The Brotherhood of Steel can perform an operation to increase Strength by 1, assuming the player can afford it (Fallout 1) or has found the appropriate module chip (Fallout 2).
- Buffout temporarily increases Strength by 2.
- Several Perks increase Strength. Adrenaline Rush raises Strength by 1 when the player has less than 50% health. Gain Perk can be used to boost Strength by 1. Some Perks raise Strength when checking for modifiers. Heave Ho! raises Strength by 2 for purposes of throwing weapons. Weapon Handling boosts raises Strength by 3 for purposes of checking the minimum Strength needed to use a weapon.
- The Bruiser Trait raises Strength by 2 but lowers the player's AP.
Strength slightly increases melee damage and carrying capacity. Melee damage is at 1 damage for every 2 strength (+5 damage at 10) and carrying capacity is an added 10 for every point (+100 at 10). Strength does not affect unarmed damage, even though Iron Fist requires some strength. Unlike previous Fallout games, none of the weapons have a minimum strength requirement, and a character with 1 strength can use a minigun without penalties.
High Strength can be used to intimidate others when in a conversation.
|Value||Carry Weight||Damage Bonus*||Skill Modifiers|
|1||160||+0.5||Melee Weapons +2|
|2||170||+1||Melee Weapons +4|
|3||180||+1.5||Melee Weapons +6|
|4||190||+2||Melee Weapons +8|
|5||200||+2.5||Melee Weapons +10|
|6||210||+3||Melee Weapons +12|
|7||220||+3.5||Melee Weapons +14|
|8||230||+4||Melee Weapons +16|
|9||240||+4.5||Melee Weapons +18|
|10||250||+5||Melee Weapons +20|
Note:* Does NOT affect unarmed damage in any way (see discussion page).
|Strong Back||5||8||Endurance 5|
Ways to increase Strength
- Bobblehead - Strength found in Lucas Simms' house in Megaton, on a desk in the bedroom
- Quest Perk Ant Might
- Nerd Rage! perk
- Intense Training perk
- Various armor and clothing
- Alcohol beverages
- Ant Nectar
Fallout: New Vegas
Strength in New Vegas modifies Melee Damage, Carry Weight, Melee Weapons skill and which weapons you're strong enough to use. If you don't meet the strength requirement of a weapon then you will be less accurate (for ranged weapons), or hit slower (for melee/unarmed weapons). You can reduce the strength requirements of weapons by two if you take the Weapon Handling perk.
|Heave, Ho!||5||2||Explosives 30|
|Strong Back||5||8||Endurance 5|
|Super Slam||6||8||Melee Weapons 45|
|Unstoppable Force||7||12||Melee Weapons 90|
|Burden to Bear||6||30||Endurance 6|
Ways to increase
- Armor or clothing.
- Numerous chems, foods, and alcohol.
- Intense Training
- Nerd Rage!
- Solar Powered
- Strength Implant
- Reinforced Spine
Level names and statistics
|Value||Name||Carry Weight||Melee Damage Bonus||Skill Modifiers|
|1||Wet Noodle||160||0.5||Melee Weapons +2|
|2||Beached Jellyfish||170||1.0||Melee Weapons +4|
|3||Doughy Baby||180||1.5||Melee Weapons +6|
|4||Lightweight||190||2.0||Melee Weapons +8|
|5||Average Joe||200||2.5||Melee Weapons +10|
|6||Barrel Chested||210||3.0||Melee Weapons +12|
|7||Beach Bully||220||3.5||Melee Weapons +14|
|8||Circus Strongman||230||4.0||Melee Weapons +16|
|9||Doomsday Pecs||240||4.5||Melee Weapons +18|
|10||Hercules' Bigger Cousin||250||5.0||Melee Weapons +20|
- If the player's highest SPECIAL stat is strength while having no stats lower than the points added to the strength stat (e.g. Strength of 7 highest and a Luck 2 lowest), Doc Mitchell will say "Surprised anybody'd want to tangle with you. Heck, you could go Deathclaw hunting with a switch."
- If the player's lowest SPECIAL stat is strength while having no stats higher than the points removed (e.g. Strength of 2 lowest and a Luck 9 highest), Doc Mitchell will say "That's some serious atrophy, even for someone who's been in bed awhile. It's a wonder you can move at all."
- When overburdened, drop a heavy item on the ground and use "z" (PC) to pickup and hold it. This will allow your weight to drop and increase your walking speed to normal. (This will only work if the carried item's weight is more than the overweight amount to allow weight reduction effect to lower it to or below allowed weight.)
Strength is a measure of your raw physical power. It affects how much you can carry, and determines the effectiveness of all melee attacks.”— Fallout 4 loading screen hints
This works out to +10 carrying capacity, and +10% melee damage per point of Strength. Also, unlike previous games, there is no longer a required level of Strength needed to operate weapons efficiently; the Sole Survivor is equally proficient with all light and heavy weapons.
|1||–||Channel your chi to unleash devastating fury! Punching attacks do 20% more damage to your opponent.||0001dafe|
|2||9||Punching attacks now do 40% more damage and can disarm your opponent.||0001daff|
|3||18||Punching attacks now do 60% more damage. Unarmed Power Attacks have a chance to cripple one of your opponent's limbs.||0001db00|
|4||31||Punching attacks now do 80% more damage. Unarmed Power Attacks have an increased chance to cripple one of your opponent's limbs.||00065e42|
|5||46||Punching attacks now do double damage. Criticals in V.A.T.S. will paralyze your opponent.||00065e43|
|1||–||Swing for the fences! Do 20% more melee weapon damage.||0004a0b5|
|2||7||You now do 40% more melee weapon damage and gain a chance to disarm your opponent.||000e36fc|
|3||15||You now do 60% more melee weapon damage and gain an increased chance to disarm your opponent.||000e36fd|
|4||27||You now do 80% more melee weapon damage and hit all targets in front of you.||000e36fe|
|5||42||You now do double damage with a melee weapon, and gain a chance to cripple your opponent, or grand slam their head clean off!||00065e05|
|1||–||Protect yourself from the dangers of the Wasteland with access to base level and Rank 1 armor mods.||0004b254|
|2||13||You gain access to Rank 2 armor mods||0004b255|
|3||25||You gain access to Rank 3 armor mods||0004b256|
|4||39||You gain access to Rank 4 armor mods||001797ea|
|1||–||Fire up the forge and gain access to base level and Rank 1 melee weapon mods.||0004b253|
|2||16||You gain access to Rank 2 melee weapon mods||0004b26a|
|3||29||You gain access to Rank 3 melee weapon mods||000264d8|
|1||–||Thanks to practice and conditioning, heavy guns do 20% more damage.||0004a0d6|
|2||11||Heavy guns now do 40% more damage, and have improved hip fire accuracy.||0004a0d7|
|3||21||Heavy guns now do 60% more damage. Hip fire accuracy is increased even more.||0004a0d8|
|4||35||Heavy guns now do 80% more damage and have a chance to stagger your opponent.||00065e2a|
|5||47||Heavy guns now do double damage.||00065e2b|
|1||–||What are you, part pack mule? Gain +25 to carry weight||0004b24e|
|2||10||You now have +50 to carry weight.||00065e5b|
|3||20||When overencumbered, you can use Action Points to run.||00065e5c|
|4||30||When overencumbered, you can fast travel.||001d2489|
|1||–||Stay on target! Hip-fire accuracy is improved when firing any gun.||001d2487|
|2||28||Hip-fire accuracy is improved even more when firing any gun.||001d2488|
|1||–||Get up close and personal! Gun bashing does 25% more damage.||00065df9|
|2||5||Gun bashing now does 50% more damage and possibly cripples your opponent.||00065dfa|
|3||14||Gun bashing now does 75% more damage and has an increased chance to cripple your opponent.||00065dfb|
|4||26||Gun bashing does double damage and has an increased chance to cripple your opponent. It may also inflict a Critical Hit.||00065dfc|
|1||–||You're part tree! While standing still, you gain +25 Damage Resistance and your melee and unarmed attacks deal 25% more damage.||001d247f|
|2||22||While standing still, you now gain +50 Damage Resistance and your melee and unarmed attacks deal 50% more damage.||001d2480|
|3||43||While standing still, you may automatically disarm enemies that use melee weapons against you.||001d2482|
|1||–||Choo Choo! All aboard! While wearing Power Armor, sprinting into enemies hurts and staggers them. (Robots and oversized enemies are immune to the stagger.)||0004d89b|
|2||24||Sprinting into enemies while wearing Power Armor now causes severe damage and a more powerful stagger. (Robots and oversized enemies are immune to the stagger.)||00065e3c|
|3||50||Sprinting into enemies while wearing Power Armor now causes massive damage and knocks them down. Impact landing near enemies inflicts even more damage.||00065e3d|
Ways to increase Strength
- Alcohol (Effects do not stack)
- Beer, Bobrov's best moonshine, Bourbon, Gwinnett ale, Gwinnett brew, Gwinnett lager, Gwinnett pale, Gwinnett pilsner, Gwinnett stout, Ice cold beer, Ice cold Gwinnett ale, Ice cold Gwinnett brew, Ice cold Gwinnett lager, Ice cold Gwinnett pale, Ice cold Gwinnett pilsner, Ice cold Gwinnett stout, Poisoned wine, Rum, Vodka, Wine (+1)
- Whiskey (+2)
- Dirty Wastelander (+3)
- Armor and clothing
- Unique armor effects
- Fortifying (+1)
- Power armor modifications
- Military paint (+1)
This is the individual’s raw physical strength. It represents the character’s ability to lift weights, punch harder, and carry more equipment. Stronger characters are able to lug more items, do more damage when brawling, and so on.
- Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader manual