Sierra Madre chip
These little octagonal gold colored coins are used exclusively at Sierra Madre vending machines in lieu of bottle caps to purchase items. These items are initially mostly food items, but when the correct vending machine code holotapes are found, medical supplies, ammunition and miscellaneous items can be obtained from the vending machines as well.
Sierra Madre chips are also used in the Sierra Madre Casino as gambling chips. The Big Winner reward for winning more than 7,500 chips is a complimentary voucher which can be exchanged for 1,000 chips at a Sierra Madre vending machine.
The chips can be exchanged for pre-War money in the Sierra Madre Casino, at a rate of one chip for one stack of pre-War money (a value of 10 caps). Gambling at the casino can earn you 10,000 chips before getting banned - this is equivalent to 100,000 caps.
- Note: this item is also craftable via a dialogue option with Veronica, or with ED-E (with at least 1 rank of the Camarader-E perk).
- These chips are found throughout the Sierra Madre environs. In the villa, many can be found in fountains, strewn across the ground or in shopping areas. In the Sierra Madre Casino they are often found in night stands and suitcases. A large stash of 303 chips can be found in a suitcase in a room in the executive suites.
- Picking up the Sierra Madre snowglobe will give you 2,000 Sierra Madre chips.
- In the Mojave, south of the Nipton Road Pit Stop there is a Scorpion burrow. After defeating the radscorpion queen and other radscorpions, at the end of the final chamber there are bodies of wastelanders and prospectors. One wastelander will have 5 chips on his corpse.
- After completing Dead Money, you can find 100 Sierra Madre chips (and a complimentary voucher worth 1,000 chips if you won 7,500 chips or more at the casino) every three days in a drop box in the abandoned Brotherhood of Steel bunker. The dropbox is opposite non-working wall terminal in the side passage to the left. If not picked up each time, the chips and vouchers will accumulate until your return.
- Sierra Madre chips can only be exchanged in Sierra Madre Casino. The other Casinos will not accept them since every type of chip is specific to its own casino.
- Before the player returns to the Mojave wasteland, chips can be exchanged in the Sierra Madre casino for pre-War money on a one-to-one basis (one chip = one pre-War money), which translates to a higher per-chip barter value than any item available from the vending machines. This amounts to a total of 100,000 caps for the casino payout alone, plus whatever chips the player has collected along the way.
- Sierra Madre chips cannot be exchanged with hologram vendors because of their value of 0.
- The Sierra Souvenir Aficionado achievement/trophy is given after 500 of these chips have been found.
- The chips can be traded, after leaving the Sierra Madre casino, with the Sierra Madre vending machine in the Abandoned Brotherhood of Steel bunker.