The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Don't know you. Don't care. Keep it short.”
Shrapnel, 50, is grizzled and rough around the edges, but he has long since left his Raider days behind. He spends his days in the store with Flak, selling merchandise. He gets along with Flak because they share a fascination with guns. However, he’s usually rude and insulting to everyone else. At Flak’s request, he tries hard to not be rude when he’s behind the counter of the shop, but he’s finding it difficult.
Together with his partner Flak, he runs the Flak 'N Shrapnel's weapons store in the Rivet City Marketplace. He can sell the Lone Wanderer ordnance and repair the Lone Wanderer's weapons. Flak and Shrapnel share their store's inventory, so buying or selling from either one of them will update both of their stocks. This means that if Flak is enslaved by the Lone Wanderer for Paradise Falls, Flak 'N Shrapnel's in the Marketplace will still be open. They consistently have a larger amount of caps than the other shops in Rivet City.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a merchant.||Sells: weapons|
|This character can repair items.||Repair cap: 49|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Effects of player actions
- Should you enslave Flak for Grouse at Paradise Falls, Shrapnel will likely be close enough to notice the action and subsequently turn hostile.
- Sometimes when Flak is enslaved, Shrapnel will leave Rivet City and travel to Paradise Falls, into the slave pens where Flak is being detained. He will still buy or sell if approached in the wasteland or Paradise Falls; he can be asked to see his inventory wherever he is.
|Merc adventurer outfit|
Flak and Shrapnel's room key
Pack of cigarettes
Drops on death
* The key is not actually obtainable. The game sets as a condition for obtaining it that Shrapnel be dead and Flak be dead or enslaved. Since Shrapnel is set as essential, he cannot die.
Shrapnel appears only in Fallout 3.
- After Flak is enslaved, Shrapnel will wander out of Rivet City and may be encountered in various locations. Shrapnel travels to Paradise Falls from Rivet City, to the slave house, and then back. If Flak is freed from the collar or killed, he will return to Rivet City. When found, he will speak as if he is still in Rivet City, and he will still sell items from his shop.
- You can end up locked inside Shrapnel's room in Rivet City, with a Hard lock to pick to get out. Save before entering the room to avoid picking the lock.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.96: "Shrapnel
Shrapnel, 50, is grizzled and rough around the edges, but he has long since left his Raider days behind. He spends his days in the store with Flak, selling merchandise. He gets along with Flak because they share a fascination with guns. However, he's usually rude and insulting to everyone else. At Flak's request, he tries hard to not be rude when he's behind the counter of the shop, but he's finding it difficult."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)