Split suggested (infobox is confusing due to the many differences in stats and DR/DT conflict issues)
It has been suggested that this article or section should be split in multiple parts. Please help The Vault by discussing this issue on the article's talk page.
In Fallout 3, the duster has a damage resistance of 5, and the hat has a DR of 1. Both cannot be repaired except by merchants.
Non-player character reactions
If your character is wearing the sheriff's duster, some residents of Megaton will occasionally comment about it when they see you:
- Jericho will say "That badge don't impress me, kid."
- Harden Simms isn't impressed either and says: "You might wear his badge, but you're not my dad."
- Colin Moriarty comments that "You got a lot of nerve wearing that badge in here."
Other non-player characters treat you as de facto sheriff:
- Confessor Cromwell says "Light shine upon you, Sheriff."
- Billy Creel asks "What can I do for you, Sheriff?"
- Andy Stahl is annoyed but will ask "Can I help you, Sheriff?"
In Fallout 3, the duster and hat can be found on the body of Lucas Simms. They are easily obtained by letting Mr. Burke kill him in The Power of Atom. The hat can also be acquired from Sonora Cruz by pickpocketing if you have the Lawbringer perk.
In Fallout: New Vegas, the outfit can be obtained from the town of Primm, inside the sheriff's office. However, the outfit will disappear when you complete the My Kind of Town quest if it is not acquired before that point. Other hats can be found on Freeside thugs from time to time. On close inspection the badge on the sheriff's duster from Primm still reads "Megaton" (the town over which Sheriff Lucas Simms presides in Fallout 3). This is probably an oversight.
- On the Lonesome Drifter east of El Dorado Gas & Service.
- Primm, inside the Sheriff's shack, at the foot of the bed next to the sheriff's duster.
- Occasionally found on Freeside thugs in full conditions.
- Dusty McBride in Novac wears one.
Behind the scenes
- The sheriff's duster can still be found occasionally, even after completing the My kind of town quest as it sits on the floor in front of the bed with the hat and a wastelander's settlers outfit adjacent to it inside the sheriff's shack.
- If you are carrying a Sherrif's hat, others that you pick up will not appear in your inventory.
Liquid Development render