Much like in Fallout 3, scrap metal in Fallout: New Vegas can be turned in to various non-player characters for unmarked quests. It is also a useful alternative to a higher Repair skill when trying to repair certain objects.
It is a necessary component in the crafting of the Weapon repair kit. Its most lucrative use, however, is that it can be broken down into 200 units of lead, which is used in the crafting of ammunition at a reloading bench. These things are not mutually exclusive, however, as lead is the easiest component of ammunition to get; the primer, powder, and casings are all much less commonplace.
With the Honest Hearts add-on, two new crafting recipes allow the player to craft scrap metal.
1 Scrap metal
1 Scrap metal
- Scrap metal can be found throughout the the Mojave Wasteland.
- Old Lady Gibson located in Gibson scrap yard has a large stock of scrap metal, ranging from 3 to 7 at a time. Her inventory restocks every 72 in-game hours.
- ED-E My Love: ED-E can be repaired using three pieces of scrap metal and several other objects if the player lacks the requisite Repair and/or Science skill to do so without parts.
- Iron and Stealing: One option to gain fame with the Boomers and thus complete the quest Volare! is to give Jack scrap metal. 50 pieces will give the player instant Idolized status. This unmarked quest stays active even after the bomber is raised.
- Dealing with Contreras: Isaac can be given scrap metal to make ammunition for Contreras. 100 pieces are necessary. However, he will also accept the much more numerous and far less valuable bent tin cans instead.
- Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans: Two pieces of scrap metal, along with many other supplies, are needed to repair William Farber's food processor in Camp McCarran if you lack the Repair skill to jury rig it.