|For an overview of radroaches throughout the Fallout series, see radroach.|
Great American cockroaches, colloquially called radroaches or simply giant cockroaches, are giant versions of the pre-War species Periplaneta americana that have increased in size due to prolonged exposure to the radioactive fallout of the Great War.
Found mainly in underground areas and sewers across North America, which can cause them to be a pest in certain Vaults because they can usually be found in fairly large groups. They feed on the dead, but will go after living creatures if isolated. Their numbers are their biggest advantage. Radroaches live mostly in the areas east of California.
These radroaches are commonly found in the dark, damp and irradiated parts of the Wasteland and look similar to normal cockroaches, save for the fact that they have mutated to be size of the domestic cat. They are generally little more than a nuisance to Armageddon survivors and are less than likely to pose a challenge. Radroaches are territorial and rather aggressive, but not very harmful. Anyone can kill them with their bare hands, and will only attack when they feel threatened by passersby. Although they are winged, they are incapable to flight, likely due to the wing appendages failing to adapt to the rapidly changing body mass. Still, it is possible that the wings are used for inter-species communication. It is said that radroach innards are useful in the treatment of radiation poisoning, and are widely used by tribals for this purpose.verification overdue, remove
Radroaches are low-level enemies, hostile to the player. Usually encountered in groups of 5-7, they are the least of your worries. They "pounce" at their enemies and bite/pinch them with their small pincers.
Radroaches all share the same vital statistics, but can differ in aggressiveness and confidence.
|Name (Base ID)||Statistics||Behavior||Abilities||Items|
|Radroach (Aggressive Vault 101)|
|Radroach (Foolhardy Vault 101)|
|Radroach (Butch Vault 101)|
- Although most radroaches appear hostile, there are two encounters, one random, in which the radroaches are passive, especially in the metro tunnels.
- Radroaches do not give out experience points unless the player is playing on Normal difficulty or higher, but even then it's only 1 experience point.
- Using Unarmed in V.A.T.S. against a radroach will result in the player stomping on it rather than punching it.
- The radroach is the first type of hostile creature the player will encounter in Fallout 3, inside Vault 101.
- Radroaches have very low Perception, a sneaking player will usually be able to go un-noticed until within melee range of one.
- There are two unique radroaches in the game, Fluffy and Jitters, both imprisoned in a cage in the Sniper shack.
Radroaches appear in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
- Radroaches were apparently put in the game in response to the theory that present-day cockroaches would be able to survive a nuclear disaster.
- Enclave field terminals; Enclave Field Research Terminal, Field Entry: Great American Cockroach
- Radroaches appear in all games except for Fallout and Fallout 2, which were set in California.