Proton throwing axe
It is similar in appearance to the proton axe but is much smaller. It is a thrown weapon and explodes on impact. These weapons are quite uncommon, but are also one of the more damaging thrown weapons. As an advantage towards robots, it can target a combat inhibitor in V.A.T.S. as if it's in full view, even if the robot is facing the player. Unlike the non throwing version it has no EMP effect. The only downside is its relatively heavy weight, at 1 pound each, considering it is a thrown item.
- Protonic inversal throwing axe: A much stronger variant with a higher damage.
- In the magnetohydraulics complex under the waterfall.
- Also in Z-38 lightwave dynamics research up stairs and all the way to the left next to some computers.
- The Cuckoo's Nest, at the end of the cave, sometimes picked up by lobotomites.
- In the X-8 Institutional Test Facility, behind a force field (EMP wave for the sonic emitter required), on top of a footlocker.
- 5 can be found in the corner of the watch tower, in Little Yangtze.
- 5 can be looted from the corpse of Sparks.
- X-12 research center - 8 can be found on the bottom floor, inside the podium in the corner of the room.
- X-8 research center - 4 can be found on the second floor of the kennel.
- Forbidden Zone - one can be found in the dome in the far right room.