Our Little Secret
Our Little Secret
Uncover the horrible secrets of Andale.
Directly south of Fairfax Ruins is the small town of Andale. Talk to Old Man Harris, who will warn you to get away from the town. After talking to Harris, head to the abandoned shack or the basement of the Smith household.
Both doors are very hard difficulty (Lockpick 100). Picking either lock will give you negative karma.It is possible to get the keys by pickpocketing either Bill Wilson or Jack Smith. Because they are evil, you will not lose karma. There are also keys in Smith and Wilson houses on the nightstand next to the queen bed. You will lose karma for stealing them. There is a second key in the Wilson's house on top of the radio in the living room.
In the basement or shack, the player can look around and discover that "strange meat" really is human flesh. Upon exiting the area, the player will be confronted by the residents of the town, with the exceptions of Junior, Jenny, and Old Man Harris. Jack Smith will engage the player in conversation and ask if he/she saw anything unusual. If you did not speak with Old Man Harris first, and you used lockpick to open the door during the day, they will immediately attack you.
There are two Speech checks in the dialogue tree. The first speech check option is to tell them that you thought about "getting a snack." Having the Cannibal perk changes this to a guaranteed success. If you choose to initially play coy by not answering straight, you will get another, easier speech check in the form of passive acceptance of their behavior (though this option will cause unintended issues). If you are successful at either speech check, in essence insisting that you did not see anything wrong and agree to keep their secret, the townsfolk will be kind to the player and you will be able to receive a free strange meat pie daily from Linda Smith.
On the other hand, if the player refuses to keep the secret, the residents will become hostile and attempt to murder the player, forcing you to kill them all. Afterwards, the player can proceed to old man Harris' house. He will then tell more of the town's history and will agree to help raise the kids right. He states that only after his wife died did he begin to question all the things that went on in Andale, and that not only was it a town of cannibals, but a town of inbred cannibals.
- When you steal from the Smiths' basement, you lose karma, despite the Smiths having evil karma.
- Old Man Harris is the only character in Andale that is not a cannibal. He will try to warn you about the acts of the townsfolk, but when you confront them about these accusations, they nervously laugh it off, claiming that the old man is just rambling.
- When inspecting the Smiths' basement and then leaving the home, the town's adults will be gathered in front of the shed with their weapons drawn, but will talk to the player normally and walk around. Jack Smith will not approach the player, but speaking to him will begin the dialogue about what the player saw in the basement.
- strange meat pie from Linda Smith. If you non-violently resolve the confrontation by selecting the line "Sure, Jack. No problem at all. I saw nothing." without having the Cannibal perk the four parents will stand with their weapons drawn outside of either the shed or the house with a basement, forever, the kids will disappear, and Old Man Harris' house is key-locked. Even though they're stuck you will still be able to get a daily
- Arriving at Andale, you may encounter the families already gathered in front of the Smith house with their weapons drawn. Mr. Smith confronts the player as if they have already been in the basement. If you choose to fight, you can loot the house and shed key from the corpses without karma penalty.
- After exiting the shed, Jack Smith will engage in dialogue with you, but it will be as if you have already negotiated with him. This means his dialogue options will be "What's wrong with that Harris guy?" etc.