This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
They called me the Flag-Bearer. Glory in my hand, in my staff that still bore the weight of the Old World just as the symbol on my back did.”— Ulysses
Old Glory is the signature weapon of Ulysses. It is a wooden staff capped with a golden eagle. Although it requires a moderately high Strength to wield, it has one of the highest damages in the game. It has a bonus chance to critically hit and does almost twice the normal damage in doing so. It additionally has a longer reach than most melee weapons. Its special V.A.T.S. attack is "Grand Slam", which does 200% damage at the cost of 35 action points (requires a Melee skill of 50).
- Old Glory can be found on the body of Ulysses, if the player chooses to fight him. Otherwise, it will appear in Ulysses' footlocker upon completion of Lonesome Road.
|The following is based on Fallout New Vegas cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- Old Glory was originally to be a weapon in Fallout: New Vegas (then named the "Eagle Flag Pole"); it was cut from the base version of the game, but was added back to Lonesome Road.
|End of information based on Fallout New Vegas cut content.|
- The 3 of Clubs in the Fallout: New Vegas collector's edition card deck depicts Ulysses holding what appears to be a flag pole.
- It is possible to get two copies of the weapon; if you finish The End with Ulysses still alive he will be sitting on a rock ledge, overlooking the Divide after you return back from the Mojave Wasteland. Alternatively you can just kill Ulysses before completing The End/The Apocalypse, take it from Ulysses' corpse and another one will be in the footlocker waiting for you.
- Ulysses uses a unique non-player character only version of this weapon, which cannot be disarmed from him or looted from his corpse. There are 4 different versions, depending on the player's level (increasing in power at player levels 25, 35, and 45) making it the only weapon in the game that is scaled to the players level. Each also has a 10% chance to knock the player down (except against those with Stonewall).
Behind the scenes
- The name "Old Glory" is a nickname of the flag of the United States of America.
- The idea of carrying a gold or silver pole with an eagle on top dates back to the Legions of the Roman Republic in which each legion had two "Eagles" which were to never be captured. They symbolized the courage of the members of the legion. Since Ulysses was/is a member of the Legion, he may have been an eagle bearer, showing Caesar's insistence on imitating Rome.
- Ulysses' dialogue in Lonesome Road indicates his eagle staff is an Old World symbol.
Vault Boy icon in color