The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
You look new to Freeside, so here's a little advice, friend. Don't go past the south gate greeter without talking to it first.”
Born and raised in Freeside, Old Ben has had many careers throughout his life. His father ran a butcher's shop in town, until another vendor started selling this strange meat and underselling Ben's father. Eventually the family business went under and Ben's father died from the loss. Not too long afterward, the people around town started experiencing shakes, the kind only possible after consuming human flesh. Unfortunately no one believed Ben and the "sick bastard" selling the meat gradually went insane and died. Not too long after, someone moved into the former butchery and found half buried human remains in the crawlspace. Ben didn't bother saying "told ya so."
After the family business went under, he took a job as a courier. However, he soon discovered that this occupation could be dangerous, involving "too many shifty characters looking to have someone else move their hot items." Not long after, he had made enough cash to purchase a New Vegas passport to enter the Strip, where he became a crier for The Tops, promoting the talent. Back then it was far easier to get onto the Strip, with passport being a fraction of what it is in Fallout: New Vegas. Being a charming guy, Ben chatted up female patrons from time to time, and one of the managers' girls started to take a liking to him. Ben never touched the woman, but the jealous manager decided it was Ben's time to go. Ben suspects that the manager framed him for theft from the casino, because a few thousand caps were conveniently missing from the casino vault, and Ben was a easy scapegoat. Ben was evicted from his casino apartment and all of his belongings and got booted back to Freeside. With his reputation in tatters, only a few careers were left open to him; so began his time as an escort.
Although he was good at his new job, he felt like a piece of meat after a while and had to quit. With the proceeds, he had enough money for a pistol belt and some other gear, and become a bodyguard. Having saved a few tourists from trouble, he build back the reputation of being a stand-up guy again and, after about ten years of guarding bodies, managed to save up enough to retire.
As a retiree, his life has gotten a bit dull and wouldn't mind a new job. The Courier can convince him that prostitution is a worthy and rewarding occupation that helps a lot of people and to go work for the Garret twins at the Atomic Wrangler.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is a pimp or prostitute and sells sex.||
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Wang Dang Atomic Tango: When looking for a male escort, the Courier can choose between Ben and Santiago to be a "smooth talker" for the Atomic Wrangler Casino. Old Ben can be persuaded through either a Speech check or the Confirmed Bachelor/Black Widow perk.
Effects of the player character's actions
- After Wang Dang Atomic Tango has been completed, you can have sex with him for 25 caps.
- He warns the Courier not to go to the gate of the Strip without first talking with the gatekeeper Securitron first, or they'll get vaporized.
|Grimy pre-War businesswear|
|.44 Magnum revolver|
Drops on death
- Along with The King, he is the only character in the game with a permanent smile, even in combat.
- If killed you can gain NCR infamy.
- "You look new to Freeside, so here's a little advice, friend. Don't go past the south gate greeter without talking to it first."
- "Yep. I was damn good at my job, too. But after a while I just felt like a piece of meat and had to quit." (Old Ben when asked about being an escort)
- "I never put much thought into the well-being my clients got out of my services. I suppose they only get as much as I put into it."
- "What do I look like? Arm candy? I don't think so, friend." (disagreeing to be Garret's smooth talker)
Behind the scenes
- Old Ben may be an homage to Jack Crabb of the film Little Big Man and other western characters who have held numerous jobs and professions, leading to their life's story bordering on a tall tale.verification overdue, remove
- For the quest Wang Dang Atomic Tango, if one already recruited a prostitute for the position Old Ben may hold, the speech check (50) for recruiting Old Ben may remain, which can be continuously used to easily gain experience and level up.
- The same applies if you recruited Old Ben for the job. He sits at the bar in the Atomic Wrangler where you can ask him how he likes working for the Garrets. You get 50xp every time you do but you still have to pass the speech check (50).
- After being recruited for the Atomic Wrangler, he cannot be hired.
- Strip's gate where he will be obliterated by the Securitrons. He can sometimes, after you talk to him, run to the
Old Ben appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.