|For an overview of various models of power armor in the Fallout series of games, see power armor.|
NCR salvaged power armor
They have the best equipment the NCR can get its hands on, power armor salvaged from our war with the Brotherhood. Techs strip out the joint servos so you don't need special training to wear it. It feels like you're carrying a Brahmin on your back, but it can take a heck of a lot of punishment.”— Chief Hanlon describes the NCR heavy troopers
NCR salvaged power armor is T-45 power armor recovered by the NCR during the Brotherhood War. NCR technicians have restored it to working order by replacing the back-mounted cylinders with a custom module and stripping out the joint servomotors, allowing it to be used by soldiers without the need of Power Armor Training, even though "it feels like you're carrying a brahmin on your back". For identification, it has a yellow NCR Bear logo painted on its chest plate and red stripes on the arms.
The main differences from regular T-45 power armor are its white coloration, the lack of the original shoulder pauldrons, and parts missing from the legs.
Salvaged power armor does not require the Power Armor Training perk and does not have the usual +2 Strength or 10% radiation resistance bonuses of normal T-45 power armor. It retains the -2 Agility effect however, and also has a slightly reduced weight and damage threshold.
In terms of effectiveness, NCR salvaged power armor is bested in weight-to-DT ratio alone by the far lighter combat armor, reinforced mark 2, which has the same DT rating, weighs 20 units less, and also lacks any sort of Agility penalty. The only advantage it provides is that it possesses an item HP of 1000 while no version of combat armor has HP higher than 650.
NCR salvaged power armor is the most protective NCR disguise the player can obtain for most of the game, equaled only by the rare NCR Ranger combat armor.
- 188 Trading Post - two heavy troopers will wear this armor after a certain level.
- Camp Forlorn Hope - can be found outside the command tent.
- Camp McCarran - two can be found on heavy troopers guarding James Hsu's office.
- Hoover Dam - can be found on heavy troopers.
- NCR Ranger Safehouse - can be found in the safehouse however, in very poor condition.
- Long 15 Worn by Irradiated heavy troopers.
- If the Brotherhood of Steel allies with the NCR in the Fallout: New Vegas endings, the NCR hands over all suits of salvaged power armor to the Brotherhood, if Eureka! is completed.
- As this is no longer powered armor, the pulse gun or any other EMP weapons do not work against this armor. The EMP Effect (extra damage vs. power armor) therefore does not affect this armor.
- It should be noted that if you are shot while wearing this armor, blood will come out, just like any other non-power armor. If you're wearing power armor, blood doesn't come out when you're shot, when bullets hit, power armor will make a 'clank' sound. Just like when a bullet hits a metal object.
- Unlike Veteran Rangers, NCR heavy troopers do not respawn after being killed, so there is a limit to the number of suits of NCR salvaged power armor you can obtain from them.
- There is an exception for the Irradiated heavy troopers in Long 15 .
- Like most of the larger, bulkier armors, when holstering two handed weapons, it tends to clip through portions of the armor, in this case most notably the air conditioner backpack.
- The Courier: "Tell me about the heavy troopers."
Hanlon: "They have the best equipment the NCR can get its hands on, power armor salvaged from our war with the Brotherhood. Techs strip out the joint servos so you don't need special training to wear it. It feels like you're carrying a Brahmin on your back, but it can take a heck of a lot of punishment."
- Brotherhood of Steel possible ending slide: "The Brotherhood and the NCR in the Mojave Wasteland declared an official truce, despite continued hostilities between the two in the west. As per their agreement, the NCR handed over all suits of salvaged power armor and in return the Brotherhood helped patrol I-15 and Highway 95."