NCR mantle armor
NCR mantle armor is a variant of the NCR Army armor in Fallout: New Vegas.
The standard uniform of the New California Republic Army is designed for ease of maintenance, production, and durability. Manufactured from inexpensive, rugged fabrics, it's the most recognizable element of the Republic's military might. Fatigues are the basis of the uniform, consisting of a tunic and pants. The tunic is roughly thigh-length with full length sleeves, and closed with five front buttons. For storage, two storage pockets are sewn onto the upper arms, with two frontal pockets just below the belt loops. The utility belt fits straight in, typically worn with a water canteen and two universal carry pouches. The tunic comes with a pair of leather, fingerless gloves. The trousers are a simple cut, with additional padding around the thighs and knees to provide protection in rough terrain. They are usually worn tucked into a pair of heavy-duty, cross-laced combat boots. Both the pant legs and the tunic sleeves are worn with cloth wraps, to seal them off and prevent sand from seeping in. Fatigues are usually worn in garrisons or by military policemen. In the latter case, they are also marked with a black band with MP emblazoned in white, capital letters. All fatigues come with a facewrap that can be pulled up to protect against the elements.
Protection is provided by a two-piece ballistic vest protecting the upper torso, mounted using leather straps and combined with a pair of reinforced shoulder protectors. Troopers are also issued steel combat helmets as standard, together with a pair of desert googles. Officers frequently forgo the usual helmet in favor of a green beret bearing the Bear-and-Star. Armors are also frequently enhanced with a bandoleer for extra carrying capacity or a mantle (most commonly to distinguish officers). The bulk and weight of the body armor has earned it little favor with the troopers, although many recruits long for a suit. Equipment shortages resulted in new recruits not being issued body armor. The Army has tried to compensate by calling for bids on a new contract for body armor, but it was still in the bidding stages in 2281, with particularly fierce competition between Crimson Caravan and Far Go Traders
The standard uniform worn by almost all NCR troopers and Army officers. It has a decent DT, 10, although it is a lot heavier than reinforced leather armor which provides the same kind of protection at a much lower weight.
However, trooper armors are a very inexpensive way to maintain any medium armor with the Jury Rigging, thanks to its ubiquity and cheap price tag.
- NCR trooper armor
- NCR bandoleer armor
- NCR facewrap armor
- NCR mantle armor
- NCR Military Police armor
- NCR trooper fatigues
- The armor randomly spawns from among the four basic models on most NCR troopers.
- NCRCF: Facewrap armor is worn by all troopers attacking the facility during I Fought the Law.
- Camp McCarran: Worn by Capt. Ronald Curtis, may be obtained by killing him during I Put a Spell on You.
- Primm: Two random outfits in the locked armor case in the tent next to Lt. Hayes'
- Nipton Hotel: Worn by the four dead troopers.
- Ranger station Charlie: Found on the dead troopers if the station is attacked.
- Camp Searchlight: Worn by the semi-feral ghouls.
- West of Camp Forlorn Hope: Worn by three dead troopers who were sent out to collect supplies for the camp (part of Restoring Hope).
- Vault 11: Dead trooper in the left hallway, past the entrance.
- Camp Guardian: Commonly found on NCR trooper bodies.
- Nelson/Camp Forlorn Hope: Worn by the NCR troopers battling legionaries.
Behind the scenes
- The NCR armor in general was inspired by uniforms worn by Commonwealth units during World War II.
- The geometry on some NCR armors is poorly made, resulting in them clipping into the player's field of vision while aiming (a black strip is produced across the screen).
- The appearance of NCR trooper fatigues in Fallout: New Vegas.
- The appearance of the various armor in Fallout: New Vegas.
- The Courier: "How did you end up selling weapons?"
Arms merchant: "Going home didn't feel right, not with those savages camped on the other side of the river, sharpening their knives. And I still get to see my old platoon when they pass through here... make sure the new C.O. is treating them right, and sneak them extra ammo. Anyway, I was always complaining about the standard issue gear. The new kids don't even get body armor, can you believe that?"
(Arms merchant's dialogue)
- The Courier: "Give them a deal on the price, you'll have the upper hand in future, more important negotiations."
Blake: "[SUCCEEDED] Well, the Far Go Traders have been trying to edge us out on the new armor contract for the troops. This could swing things in our favor. Give them a deal on the price, you'll have the upper hand in future, more important negotiations. All right, let McCarran know they should expect the first shipment in a week or so."
(Blake's dialogue (Fallout: New Vegas))
- J.E. Sawyer