|For an overview of mole rats in the Fallout series of games, see mole rat.|
Mole rats are mutated rodents that are much larger than their pre-War cousins. They survived as a species by burrowing underground where the dirt protected them from the direct nuclear explosions. However, they still were massively mutated by the remaining fallout and radiation, increasing their size as well as their viciousness. Some people in the wastes have been known to train them and keep them as pets.
Mole rats are usually found in packs of roughly three or four, but occasionally in twos or by themselves. They are often witnessed standing on two legs sniffing the air, allowing them to smell any predators that maybe coming. They occasionally scratch at the ground, attempting to dig a burrow.
Mole rats are very aggressive, but will retreat if severely outmatched. They fight for their food by biting at prey with their large incisors.
When attacking, mole rats charge towards their opponents and have a long melee range, with the ability to lunge several feet. They are also pack animals, which means if you see one, there are likely more in the surrounding area.
Mole rats are hostile unless the player has Animal Friend perk.
|Name (Base ID)||Statistics||Behavior||Abilities||Items|
- Moira Brown noted in her computer terminal that mole rats can be domesticated, but only after de-clawing, de-teething, and a lobotomy.
- Pumpkin is a tame mole rat found in the office of Ryan Brigg, a scientist experimenting with mole rats in order to enhance the taste of mole rat meat. She is located in the Jury St. Tunnels. She is non-hostile towards the player and is found locked in a cage. There is no known way to set her free.
- A group of raiders can be found hosting mole rat races on at the mole rat race track.
- Mole rat pups can be found in the Mojave Wasteland but none appear in the Capital Wasteland.
- When hit by the Repellent Stick a mole rats head will explode regardless of where the hit is made on its body.
- Several mole rat decorations can be found throughout the wasteland. For example, the mole rat-skin rug that can be encountered on the Duchess Gambit.
Mole rats appear in Fallout 3.
Concept art by Adam Adamowicz