|For an overview of metal armor variants in all games, see metal armor.|
Metal armor serves as a very heavy armor. It provides much more protection than a flimsy suit of leather armor, but is more ramshackle than combat armor and is weaker than power armor. It can be very useful for someone who has Jury Rigging since it can be used to repair most types of power armor. The metal helmet is similar in shape to a motorcycle helmet. It provides moderate protection for a piece of headgear and has a stronger variant, the metal helmet, reinforced.
- Lightweight metal armor (Mercenary Pack) - A suit of metal armor that has been trimmed down. It's lighter and easier to move in and is just as good at stopping bullets.
- Metal armor, reinforced - A variant of metal armor, possessing higher DT and more durability.
- Gecko-backed metal armor
- Gecko-backed metal armor, reinforced
- Bison Steve Hotel, Primm - can sometimes be found in an armor case on the third floor.
- Freeside - Orris wears one.
- Gun Runners- the Vendortron sometimes sells them.
- Miguel's Pawn Shop, Westside - the helmet is on display and it can be stolen or purchased.
- Raided Farmstead - some of the Vipers that attempt to ambush you will wear this armor.
- Vault 19 - some Powder Gangers wear one.
- Wolfhorn Ranch - the armor locker has a set.
- Zapp's Neon Signs - the fiend Duke wears one.
- Jackal gang members and leaders, as well as Viper leaders and gunslingers sometimes wear it.
- Prospectors will occasionally wear it.
- The mercenaries during Unfriendly Persuasion that you must deal with in front of Jacobstown each wear one.
- Some Mercenaries around the Mojave Wasteland wear a set.
- Some of the Crimson Caravan guards wear one.
- Cook-Cook, a fiend leader found in South Vegas ruins
- A helmet can be found on the head of a skeleton beside a crashed motorcycle on the stretch of road running from Ranger Station Charlie to Novac. This seems to confirm the helmets were used pre-War by motorcyclists.
- Metal helmets are sometimes worn by Crimson Caravan guards.
- When holding metal armor outside of the pipboy (via pressing down L3) when jumping the metal armor will freeze mid-air and vanish. It won't disappear, and will be invisible. To avoid this, it is advised to pick it up again.
- Despite the fact that the metal helmet does not in any way cover the mouth when worn by a female character, it still muffles the character's voice as though it did.