|For an overview of katana in the Fallout universe, see katana.|
A katana is a type of Japanese sword with a blade length greater than 23.6-28.7 inches (60-73 centimeters) and characterized by its distinctive appearance: a curved, slender, single-edged blade, circular or squared guard, and long grip that can accommodate two hands. Often called a "samurai sword" or "samurai's sword" because of its use by the feudal warriors, it became a symbol of the samurai caste.
Renowned for its sharpness and cutting ability, its origins go back at least as far as the Kamakura Period (1185–1333). Most often held with two hands, some techniques and combat styles were performed with a one-handed grip. The katana was generally carried in a saya, or scabbard, manufactured from lightweight wood, with a coat of lacquer on the exterior and a wooden knob on one side for attaching a braided cord.
The single-edged, razor-sharp blade is extremely effective against most enemies not only because it has a high attack speed of around three hits per second but it also has a special V.A.T.S. attack called "Unlabored Flawlessness", where an attack is launched in reverse grip. This V.A.T.S maneuver costs 40 AP and does 2.5 times the base DMG.
- Katana authentic blade, increases damage by 5, removes the exhausted blade for a polished blade and the worn blue grip for a black grip.
- Katana protective sheath, increases condition by 50%, adds a traditional brown saya (Japanese scabbard) attached to the belt on the left.
- Katana balanced grip, increases attack speed by 20%, removes the worn blue or black grip for a good condition red grip.
- Mick & Ralph's, sold by Mick.
- Novac, sold by Cliff Briscoe.
- Silver Rush, sold by Gloria Van Graff.
- When dropped, the current model appears as that of the base weapon despite being modded or not.
- If the player is skilled in Melee Weapons, has the Slayer and Ain't Like That Now perks, the balanced grip and the authentic blade modifications, it can attack as fast as up to five or six times per second.
- When modded with the protective sheath modification, it'll be the only melee weapon in the game with a visible scabbard and not in the weapon itself.
- Every time the vendors' inventories are reset, Mick will always have one in stock.
- After modding with the protective sheath upon dropping this weapon both the sheath and the katana will appear to have dropped separately.
- Sometimes when you swing it too fast the sound can become un-synchronized like two different blade slash sounds playing at the same time.
- Without modifications, it is visually identical to the Samurai's sword from the Fallout 3 add-on Mothership Zeta.
Behind the scenes
- The name of the special attack is a reference to Ninja Gaiden, where the Unlabored Flawlessness is the strongest weapon in the game.
If modded with the protective sheath, when changing weapons or un-equipping the katana, the sheath will still be on the players hip. When dropped, sometimes the sheath is not dropped. Occasionally, this bug may also result in two sheaths overlapping each other.
- Equipping a different weapon that is holstered the same way will remove it, but sometimes changing weapons may not remove the sheath and the player has to save the game, return to the main menu, and reload the save to fix the problem.
- An alternate way of removing the sheaths is to repeatedly equip and un-equip another weapon using the hotkeys until the sheath disappears.