Glassed Cavern is a location in Fallout 76.
Ostensibly a minor quarry operated on the edge of the former Watoga National Park by Atomic Mining Services, the glassed cavern was actually an experimental site where AMS used atomic devices to try and create artificial ultracite. This also happens to be the first lair of the scorchbeasts, where Enclave forces acting on orders from Thomas Eckhart secreted away the monstrosities, which were further twisted by their exposure to ultracite.
After the collapse of the Enclave due to infighting in 2086, following the decision to release the monsters, the Appalachian Brotherhood of Steel tracked the monsters here during Operation Touchdown in 2095. Paladin Lizzy Taggerdy gave her life trying to contain the threat and succeeded in preventing them from attacking the surface for several weeks. Her body still remains deep inside the lair, alongside equipment from Enclave's and AMS' experiments...
Points of interest
- Part of the main quest, the cavern is explored during the Belly of the Beast, as players track down the remains of Paladin Taggerdy. The unassuming surface contains a warehouse, landing pad, and other facilities typically associated with mining. It's recommended that players stock up on stimpaks, radiation chems, and especially ammunition. A thousand rounds for the primary weapon is not overkill, as the glassed cavern is what soldiers call a target-rich environment: A brutal gauntlet through dark, murky corridors.
- The real fun begins once players enter the door at the bottom of the quarry. The tunnels are a lengthy slog through hordes of scorched. The dungeon is linear. The entrance tunnel terminates in a cave-in that requires players to navigate through a side tunnel and two caverns containing AMS' maintenance equipment and the laboratory. This segues into the Auto-Miner maintenance point and a loading dock. The next stage leads to a curving cavern with a waterlogged shelter area and another small junction with a power armor frame.
- The final area of the cavern is a vast chamber where a scorchbeast made its nest. Among the scattered gear and science equipment is Paladin Taggerdy, half-buried against the eastern wall, and a steamer trunk in the western sub-chamber. Thankfully, there's a mine elevator in the back of the cavern that leads topside.
- Holotapes and Notes
- Bad news: The holotape is on the counter of one of the metal prefabricated offices, accessed by extending the walkway to it from the central structure.
- Accident: The holotape is on a bench in the locker room, end of the first stretch of the main corridor.
- I'm stuck here: The holotape is on a table inside one of the side rooms in one of the cavernous mining chambers, just before a Scorchbeast carcass and the multiple dead bodies of Brotherhood of Steel members.
- Have a nice life: The holotape is on a wooden crate next to a mining helmet in one of the side mining chambers with robot charging chambers.
- Enola Walker's Story, Part 6: The holotape is next to her backpack at the end of the mine, next to the elevator shaft out.
- Potential power armor
- A partial suit of power armor may spawn in the chamber before the Scorchbeast chamber.
- Other Loot
- Paladin Taggerdy's ID: The identification card is on her body in the Scorchbeast chamber.
- Fusion Core: In the locked storage closet in the chamber with the two concrete buildings.
- Ultracite: Countless veins of Ultracite Ore can be found through the entire cavern.
- Dynamic spawns
- Weapon: Pickaxe
- Junk: Extinguisher, portable fuel tank, duct tape, mining light, brass miner's lamp, miner's lamp, steel and aluminum scrap
Glassed Cavern appears in Fallout 76.