|This is a lore summary, presenting intradiegetic or in-universe information about the subject. For game characteristics and similar data, consult the table on the right.|
Fusion core is an ammunition type in Fallout 4 and Fallout 76.
Standardized fusion cores are a high-grade, long-term nuclear battery used for military and commercial applications before the Great War. Used by civilians to power a multitude of devices, from automobiles, to generators, the military instead used them for killing, supplying power armor and some Gatling laser models with energy. Standard core interfaces were developed across the board to allow for power armor frames to use cores salvaged from weapons or generators. The Fusion Core also can be hooked up to certain melee weapons via jumper cables. A specialized variant of the fusion core was developed as well, for use in plasma weapons.
Another benefit is that cores can be set to overload, for use as improvised explosives or to deny a power armor suit to the enemy by destroying it.
The standard fusion core, used in weapons, power armors, and generators.
A variant of the fusion core for use in the Gatling plasma.
- The Sole Survivor: "I'll help if I can."
Preston Garvey: "What you'll need is an old pre-war F.C., a standardized Fusion Core. Your high-grade, long-term nuclear battery. Used by the military and some companies, way back when. And we know right where to find one..."
Sturges: "But we can't get to the damn thing. It's down in the basement, locked behind a security gate. Look... I fix stuff. I tinker. Bypassing security ain't exactly my forte. You could give it a shot."
(Preston Garvey's and Sturges' dialogue)
- Berkeley Springs terminals; Dr. Barnaby's Terminal, Medical Notes 10.31.77
- The Sole Survivor: "What're you looking for again?"
Preston Garvey: "A Fusion Core. It's kind of a fancy battery. They used one here in the museum to power the exhibits, a long time ago. There's one in the basement, behind a security gate. You'll need to pick the lock or hack the computer to open it."
(Preston Garvey's dialogue)
- Sturges: "That armor may be old, but it's got a standard interface. Just jack the Fusion Core in."
- Electro-Fusion modification for the Hatchet
- Plasma core in Fallout 76
- The Sole Survivor: “The damage... it's deliberate. They set the fusion cores in their armor to overload. That's what caused the blast. But why?”
Spoken during The Lost Patrol