Forbidden Zone Dome entrance
Fallout: New Vegas locations project
Split suggested (Marked location (e.g. external Forbidden Zone Dome entrance) needs to be split from the unmarked location (e.g. internal X-42 robo-warfare facility AKA Forbidden Zone). And stop with all the page moves)
It has been suggested that this article or section should be split in multiple parts. Please help The Vault by discussing this issue on the article's talk page.
Forbidden Zone Dome entrance
It is I, Dr. Mobius, transmitting from my dome-shaped... dome in the Forbidden Zone. A zone... that is, yes... forbidden to you.”— Doctor Mobius' broadcasts, Old World Blues
Before Dr. Mobius left the Think Tank, the facility was known as the X-42 robo-warfare facility. It was later changed by Mobius after he left. The Think Tank fears the superstitiously the dome and has forbidden any members of the Think Tank from confronting Mobius in it. The door to this facility is locked until the courier has spoken with Dr. Klein as part of the quest Old World Blues.
The workshop area is comprised of a single, very large room that appears to occupy most of the inner volume of the building's dome. In the center is a large cargo elevator, on which rides the X-42 giant robo-scorpion. Around the perimeter of the room are several staircases leading to raised walkways and observation rooms, some containing terminals with information on the giant robo-scorpion. This information can be used to damage or disable the scorpion. One terminal in particular, located on the highest catwalks in the room, says that it can be used to shut down the giant robo-scorpion remotely, but actually resets the giant robo-scorpion to not be hostile to the courier.
The Forbidden Zone's Dome is similar to the Think Tank's, but is in significantly worse condition: the lighting is sickly green, the equipment is rusted, broken, or otherwise mostly unusable, and Dr. Mobius has covered every surface in the main room with intricate scrawls of equations, formulas and notes. In the six smaller rooms located off the upper tier, stored office furniture containing random loot can be found, along with what appears to be Dr. Mobius' private stash of Mentats. Located at the top of the main staircase, in a storage tank, is The Courier's brain.
- 4 proton throwing axes in the observation room in the southwest corner.
- Audio Sample - Mobius' Robo-Scorpion, located on the center desk right in front of the north exit on the second floor.
- The Emergency Shutdown Terminal Password can be found by the protectron containers in the northeast corner of the ground floor, near the last container.
- A duffle bag can be found behind a skeleton in the northeast corner of the room. It contains three random skill magazines and various other random loot.
- A LAER in the northeast area of the building, to the right of the exit.
- A LAER and a Valence radii-accentuator can be found on the corpse of the X-42 giant robo-scorpion.
- A Fixin' Things on a table in far left of the central piece.
- Dr. Mobius' glove can be found on a table left next to the central stairs with some pre-War books.
- Dr. Mobius' scrubs can be found in a trunk right next to the central stairs.
- A proton throwing axe in the far right room.
- A total of 44 Mentats can be found in the second farthest right room.
- A LAER in the room left next to the central stairs.
- A proton axe in the second farthest left room.
- Some Psycho can be found in the various rooms.
Behind the scenes
- David Lieu created the tileset and handled the propping and lighting in the location.
- The name of the facility is a reference to the 1956 science fiction film Forbidden Planet. Dr. Mobius himself was partially inspired by the movie's main antagonist, Dr. Edward Morbius.
- Upon entering, it is possible to become stuck under the platform nearest the entrance. This appears to happen when entering while sneaking.