Find the missing people for Marcus.
- Talk to Marcus in Broken Hills (Downtown).
- Descend into one of the manholes in the residential area.
- Find the dead bodies in the north east of the tunnel system, take the note from the body of Dan's wife.
- Speak to Marcus and collect your reward.
To start this quest, go see Marcus, the mutant town sheriff of Broken Hills. Ask him about things in town and offer your help on finding the missing people. If you refuse to take money, he'll give you a Scoped Hunting Rifle afterwards.
Now locate a man named Dan in a house in the north-east corner of the Broken Hills residential area. He will tell you that his wife is missing, assure him that you will be able to find her.
Being in this side of town, find one of the manholes (there's one in an outhouse) and climb down in to the tunnels.
Underground you will have to face a few giant ants, but they're probably nothing you can't take on by now. Eventually, locate the mass amount of dead bodies in the north east of this tunnel system, and find the body of a woman (more precisely, Dan's wife). There will be a note on her body.
The note implies that the mutant Francis is the killer of these missing people. The note also implicates Zaius.
Go back to Dan, and tell him you found his missing wife, dead in the tunnels below. You can also convince him to leave town, as he might as well be the next target of the killer. While in this part of town, have a chat with Zaius in the mine foreman's hut. He will prompt you to talk to Francis.
Also, if you have defeated Francis in arm-wrestling, or if you have spoken to Zaius, you can confront him with the note you found. You can either kill him or persuade him to leave the town, to atone for his sins.
Now talk to Marcus to collect your reward.
- 500 XP
- $500 or Scoped Hunting Rifle (if you refused to take money from Marcus)
- $500, 500 XP and +5 karma (if you informed Dan of his wife's murder)
- 1000 XP (if you confronted Francis)
- Evil players obviously won't do this quest, but can take advantage from Dan. Go to him, tell that you agree to find his wife, exit the area and then immediately return saying you won't do the task. You will gain $500, 500 XP and -10 karma.
- Confronting Francis will turn the town hostile, including Marcus, unless he is in your party.