Resources are a core gameplay component of Fallout Shelter. Managing them properly is essential to maintaining the well-being of a Vault.
There are three basic resources in the game:
- Power: Used to operate rooms. Not enough of it and they will start shutting down.
- Water: Used by Vault dwellers. Causes a reduction in maximum health and happiness when below required levels.
- Food: Used by Vault dwellers. Causes a reduction in health and happiness when below required levels.
All three basic resources are depleted at a constant rate and replenished by completing a production cycle in the appropriate rooms.
They continue to be depleted for a short time after turning the game off. To prevent problems with your dwellers, keep a surplus of all three when turning Shelter off.
The speed at which these resources are produced is determined by the sum of the SPECIAL attributes of all the dwellers assigned to the room.
|Production efficiency (based on Reddit research)|
|Time reduction (base time divisor)||0||0.5||0.667||0.75||0.8||0.833||0.857||0.875||0.889||0.9||0.95||0.967||0.975||0.98||0.983|
As can be seen, the biggest reduction is achieved when the total sum of SPECIAL in a given room is 20, with increasingly diminishing returns as the score increases. As such, aim for having 20 SPECIAL at minimum in any given room.
- Caps: The currency of the wasteland, used to build rooms within the Vault.
- Vault dwellers: A slowly renewable resource used to keep the Vault operational and generate primary resources.
- Stimpaks: Healing medicine to keep your Vault dwellers in healthy and tiptop shape.
- RadAway: Radiation treatment medicine to keep your Vault Dwellers radiation free.