|This page lists all companions in Fallout 2.|
Permanent companions require a few requisites to be met in order for them to join the player's party. For a few non-player character's, there is more than one possible way to have them join your party.
|John Cassidy||Vault City||Player asks him to join. Must also not be a slaver.|
|Davin||Modoc||Player marries him after having sex, regardless of gender|
|Dogmeat||Cafe of Broken Dreams||Player shows Dogmeat the Vault 13 suit in the Cafe encounter|
|Goris||Vault 13||Player asks him to join|
|K-9||Navarro||Player kills Schreber and repairs K-9|
|Lenny||Gecko||Player reaches 'Accepted' reputation with Gecko or a Charisma of 9|
|Marcus||Broken Hills||Player asks him to join after completing certain quests in Broken Hills.|
|Miria||Modoc||Player marries her after having sex, regardless of gender|
|Myron||Stables||Player asks him to join|
|Pariah Dog||Random encounter||Player fails a LK check on the encounter map|
|Robodog||New California Republic||Player tests Dr. Henry's mutagen|
|Skynet||Sierra Army Depot||Player is willing to build Skynet himself; requires Bio Med Gel, a Robot motivator, and a Cybernetic Brain|
|Sulik||Klamath||Player pays his $350 debt or saves Smiley from the Toxic Caves. Must also not be a slaver.|
|Vic||Den||Player gives Metzger Vic's radio and pays $1000 or kills Metzger and all the slavers.|
Once an non-player character becomes the player's companion, their dialogue menu changes to a list of tactical and combat-oriented options. New from Fallout is a "Combat Control" button in dialogue, which lets you manually change an non-player character's armor, weapon, distance, and tactics.
The picture to the right is the in-game dialogue box for controlling companions. For permanent companions, the options are shown as follows:
Use Best Weapon
- At first, this doesn't do anything, because the companions originally only carry their default weapon. However, the player may so gift them with a better weapon (and ammunition, for guns), then the non-player character will make use of that weapon instead. Alternatively, the companion can pick up weapons found on the ground.
Use Best Armor
- This control acts the same as the one above; give the companion a better suit of armor, and they will equip it in place of their default armor, granting them the corresponding bonus to armor class.
- Berserk - The companion will always attack, never fleeing from battle, no matter the level their health drops to.
- Aggressive - The companion will attack while their health is in an acceptably decent range. If it falls too low, they will ultimately flee from combat.
- Defensive - The companion will be more mindful of their health, running when they are injured, even if just slightly.
- Coward - The companion will always run from a battle they think they cannot handle, regardless of the opponents.
- Custom - There are six options with 5 sub-options that can be chosen by the player concerning the non-player character's disposition. The possible options for each is listed below.
|Custom disposition options|
|Burst||Run Away||Weapon Pref||Distance||Attack Who||Chem Use|
|Companion||Default armor||Default weapon||S.P.E.C.I.A.L.||Max HP||Notable skills||Usable weapons|
|Davin||Clothes||Desert Eagle .44||4 5 5 4 5 4 4||35||None||Knives, clubs, pistols|
|Dogmeat||Metal armor mk II||Unarmed||7 7 7 2 3 10 8||161||Unarmed 101%||N/A|
|Goris||Combat armor Mk II||Unarmed||10 9 10 4 8 10 7||187||Unarmed 100%, Outdoorsman 24%||N/A|
|K-9||Power armor||Unarmed||6 10 8 3 8 9 8||137||Unarmed 92%||N/A|
|John Cassidy||Leather armor||Sawed-off shotgun||6 8 4 5 4 7 9||128||Small Guns 127%, Energy Weapons 116%, Unarmed 84%, Melee Weapons 84%, Throwing 72%, Outdoorsman 39%||Spears, pistols, rifles|
|Lenny||Clothes||Unarmed||4 7 6 5 7 5 6||206||Small Guns 70%, Melee Weapons 12%, Doctor 106%||Knives, pistols, SMGs|
|Marcus||Combat armor||CZ53 personal minigun||10 9 10 3 7 9 9||205||Big Guns 145%, Energy Weapons 100%, Unarmed 77%||Large rifle, gatling gun, rocket launcher|
|Miria||Clothes||Unarmed||3 5 4 5 5 5 4||35||None||Knives, SMGs|
|Myron||Clothes||Needler Pistol||4 7 4 4 9 6 7||122||Small Guns 41%, Energy Weapons 83%, Unarmed 10%, Melee Weapons 20%, Doctor 34%, Science 109%, Repair 18%||Knives, pistols|
|Pariah Dog||Combat armor||Unarmed (will never fight)||1 2 1 1 1 5 1||750||None||N/A|
|Robodog||Metal armor mk II||Unarmed||6 9 8 1 3 8 5||137||Unarmed 72%||N/A|
|Skynet||Combat armor||Unarmed||8 7 6 1 10 7 5||210||Unarmed 50% (worst brains), Small Guns 122%, Science 115%, Repair 30% (best brains)||SMGs, rifles|
|Sulik||Leather jacket||Sledgehammer||8 7 9 8 7 7 8||146||Small Guns 77%, Unarmed 90%, Melee Weapons 110%, Throwing 82%, Outdoorsman 58%||Knives, hammers, spears, SMGs|
|Vic||Clothes||Unarmed||7 8 5 5 8 8 8||117||Small Guns 98%, Energy Weapons 129%, Throwing 33%, Repair 106%||Knives, pistols, rifles|
Like permanent companions, there are a few conditions that must be met to have temporary companions join the player's party.
|Bess||Modoc||Player must use the Doctor skill to fix her crippled leg|
|Laddie||Modoc||Player must accept the Jonny is missing quest|
|Smiley||Toxic Caves||Player offers to rescue him|
|Smoke||Arroyo||Player offers to rescue him|
|Xarn||Navarro||Player offers to rescue him|
Temporary companions cannot be controlled in any way.
|Companion||Default armor||Default weapon||S.P.E.C.I.A.L.||HP||Notable skills||Usable weapons|
|Bess||Leather jacket||Unarmed||8 3 8 3 2 4 1||39||Unarmed 19%||N/A|
|Laddie||None||Unarmed||3 3 6 1 1 5 3||30||Unarmed 26%||N/A|
|Smiley||Leather armor||Unarmed||7 6 8 4 5 6 6||50||Small Guns 46%, Unarmed 19%, Melee Weapons 34%, Throwing 56%||Spears, pistols, rifles|
|Smoke||None||Unarmed||3 3 6 1 1 5 3||30||Unarmed 29%||N/A|
|Xarn||None||Unarmed||9 10 8 1 4 10 10||310||Unarmed 82%||N/A|
- It is interesting that most permanent companions are male, others don't have their gender specified.