Empty whiskey bottle
An empty whiskey bottle is simply what the name suggests: a bottle of Olde Royale premium whiskey which has been drunk or otherwise emptied.
Within Fallout 3 empty whiskey bottles serve no appreciable purpose, with the exception of being used as Rock-It Launcher ammunition. Their low weight-to-value ratio make them impractical for being sold for profit.
Fallout: New Vegas also provides no definitive use for empty whiskey bottles within the standard game. However, the Honest Hearts add-on incorporates empty whiskey bottles as an ingredient used in crafting wasteland tequila. Also, the Old World Blues allows the player to take these to the Sink to be refilled, turning them into Purified water.
Numerous empty whiskey bottles can be found throughout the Capital Wasteland and Mojave Wasteland, appearing in virtually all major areas of both games, either in-world or located inside containers. Additionally, vendors may sell the item, though none are specifically guaranteed to have any in stock.
Fallout: New Vegas
A total of 744 bottles can be found in the world, not counting items found inside containers, sold by vendors, or held by non-player characters. While it is impractical to list every location they appear, the following is a list of areas with a high number of empty whiskey bottles:
- New California Republic Correctional Facility - 50 empty whiskey bottles can be found in or near the NCRCF: 40 located in the exterior areas, and an additional 10 located inside the barracks and other interior locations.
- REPCONN Test Site - 38 bottles can be found inside the REPCONN building, the bulk consisting of 14 located on the entry floor and 22 in the basement level.
- Lucky 38 Penthouse - 35 bottles are scattered around the top floor of the Lucky 38 casino.
- Ultra-Luxe - 34 bottles are located inside the casino: 16 in the kitchen area, and 6 in the main casino, Gourmand restaurant, and the Penthouse.
- Vikki and Vance Casino - 33 bottles can be found in the interior of the Vikki and Vance.
- The Gray - 19 bottles are located inside the various rooms inside The Gray.
- Gibson's Shack - contains a drunk's dozen: 11 bottles.
- Rose of Sharon Cassidy- has one bottle in her inventory when recruited.
- Fallout 3 uses the spelling "whisky" for this item, compared to "whiskey" printed on the label of both the filled and empty bottles. This spelling error was later corrected in the release of Fallout: New Vegas.
- SatCom Array NN-03d has a chessboard which uses tiny versions of both the empty and full bottles as post-War replacement pieces.