The Vault - Fallout Wiki

We've Moved! Just as Gamepedia has joined forces with Fandom, this wiki had joined forces with our Fandom equivalent. The wiki has been archived and we ask that readers and editors move to the now combined wiki on Fandom. Click to go to the new wiki.


The Vault - Fallout Wiki
Icon disambig.svg
For an overview of knife models throughout the Fallout series, see Knife.
Cosmic knife super-heated
Cosmic knife super-heated.png
Cosmic knife icon.png
SkillMelee Weapons 0
Strength Req.1
Attack statistics
14 (19.5)
42 (93.4)
Crit Dmg
Crit % Mult
3 (4.8)AP20
Effect.5x weapon reach
Item HP150
Cosmic knife super-heated
Cosmic knife
Cosmic knife clean
One-handed melee
Editor IDNVDLC01WeapSpaceAgeKnifeHeated
Base IDxx010589
Perk Effects
Perks (dam.)
Lord Death
Perks (Att.)
Gametitle-FNV DM.png
Gametitle-FNV DM.png

The cosmic knife super-heated is a weapon in the Fallout: New Vegas add-on Dead Money.


The following section is transcluded from Knife. To modify, please edit the source page.

Made from a "space age" Saturnite alloy in the Big Mountain Research and Development Center, cosmic knives were advertised to be super-sharp, all-purpose kitchen knives that wouldn't chip or dull. A surplus of these knives were shipped to the Cantina Madrid kitchens in the Sierra Madre casino in preparation for the Gala Event. Though lightweight and durable, they proved to be too sharp for their own good, easily capable cutting a person's thumb off if they were careless, and even slice through cutting boards with no effort. This made them perfect for cutting open hazmat suits that had their locks corroded by the red cloud in the Sierra Madre during its construction. Concerns were raised about the safety and necessity of having so many of these knives lying about, but Frederick Sinclair insisted that only the best equipment be used.


The following section is transcluded from Knife. To modify, please edit the source page.

They were also found to have incredible heat retention, able to stay super-hot for hours after being heated over a stove. However, they are much more brittle when heated, and if left on an uninsulated surface, they would melt right through.

The cosmic knife super-heated was accidentally discovered by a chef, when one was left on a hot (450 degrees) stove under a pot for five minutes. The alloy retained so much heat that the blade glowed red-hot. The handle was safe to hold, but when the chef put it down on a table, it melted the table.

Compared to the regular kitchen knife, the cosmic knife is longer, stained red with cloud residue, and does more damage. Using Abraxo cleaner, one can turn it into a clean cosmic knife. They glow violet before they are cleaned, most likely due to years of cloud exposure. The name "cosmic knife" is a brand name only, referring to the "space-age" Saturnite material it's made of, and not because it originates from outer space.

Gameplay attributes

The cosmic knife super-heated appears as an ordinary cosmic knife with a slight orange glow. Its special V.A.T.S. attack is the Flambé Cut, which does 90% damage at a cost of 20 action points.

The super-heated knife has a very interesting script set up for critical hit attacks: when the player scores a critical hit, there is a 25% chance that enemies will be enveloped in smoke, and a 75% chance they will burst into flames, plus any critical hit will cause the target to begin taking two points of fire damage every second for five seconds.

Icon cut content.pngThe following is based on Fallout New Vegas cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.

The script notes for the critical hit effect state, "Randomly generates either small burn DPS + smoke or large burn DPS + fire on hit." but the fire damage effect for both smoking hits and flaming hits is identical.

Icon cut content.pngEnd of information based on Fallout New Vegas cut content.


1 Cosmic knife super-heated
Note: this item is also craftable via a dialogue option with Veronica, or with ED-E (with at least 1 rank of the Camarader-E perk).


Name Dmg/att DPS Att/sec Crit mult Crit dmg AP cost Weight Item HP Value Stat Req.
Cosmic knife 12 36 3 x1.0 12 20 1 150 35 Melee Weapons:0 Strength:1
Cosmic knife clean 15 45 3 x1.2 15 20 1 200 50 Melee Weapons:0 Strength:1
cosmic knife super-heated 14 42 3 x5.0 14 20 1 150 50 Melee Weapons:0 Strength:1


  • This item must be crafted by the player, as it is not found on enemies or in containers.


  • PCIcon pc.png PlayStation 3Icon ps3.png Xbox 360Icon xbox360.png The cosmic knife super-heated is not affected by the Cowboy or Super Slam perks.
  • PCIcon pc.png PlayStation 3Icon ps3.png Xbox 360Icon xbox360.png Although capable of setting non-player characters on fire, this weapon is not affected by the Pyromaniac perk.
  • PCIcon pc.png PlayStation 3Icon ps3.png Xbox 360Icon xbox360.png The glow layer texture for this weapon is referenced by the weapon's model, but was not included in the resources for Dead Money. This indicates the weapon was intended to produce a glow from only certain parts of the weapon, but instead provides a glow over the entire weapon due to the missing texture.