|For an overview of combat armor variants throughout the Fallout series, see combat armor.|
Green Camouflaged Combat Armor
Modelled after the human silhouette and designed to provide balanced protection that does not limit mobility on the battlefield, combat armors are a diverse family of personal body armor of varying degrees of sophistication, from the earliest iterations of the armor developed by the United States Army to the cutting-edge riot gears that came into use prior to the Great War.
The first modern type of combat armor developed by the United States Army to the cutting-edge riot gears that came into use prior to the Great War. consisted of individual armored plates manufactured from synthetic fibers attached to standard load-carrying equipment of the infantryman. The individual components included a combat helmet issued with matching goggles in hazardous environs, front and back ballistic plates, and a pair of axillary protectors. Additional forearm protectors were issued to frontline troops. The lower body was protected by a pair of thigh plates, worn together with a groin and kidney protector. The shins, knees, and feet were covered by frontal plates worn over standard combat boots.
The armor was typically worn in conjunction with standard Army fatigues or specialized uniforms designed for it, with various solid color camouflage patterns (including Arctic white, coyote brown, and olive drab). Rank indicators were typically painted on the axillary protectors, with the Army insignia and identification numbers printed on the back plate.
Identical in appearance to the version found in Fallout 3, and unlike the one in Fallout and Fallout 2, the combat armor available in the Mojave is short-sleeved, having only the pauldrons and chestplates covering the torso. The combat helmet's shaded visor from Fallout and Fallout 2 is also absent.
There is also an identically-named black version of this armor, with the same appearance as Van Graff combat armor. There is no matching helmet for the black version. This version is worn solely by members of the Van Graff crime syndicate, and is painted black for "brand recognition purposes". A total of 9 suits of black combat armor exist in the game: 5 worn by the Van Graff thugs at the Silver Rush, 1 worn by Simon, 1 worn by Jean-Baptiste Cutting, and 2 on the bodies of dead Van Graff thugs at the site of Durable Dunn's Sacked Caravan wreckage.
- Van Graff combat armor- The Van graffs standard armor for all of their guards.
- Combat armor, reinforced- An improved version of combat armor, made out of tougher armor plates and covers more of the wearers body, most notably the back and upper torso
- Combat armor, reinforced mark 2- An even tougher version of standard combat armor and an improvement of the reinforced combat armor, the armor provides more protection by having an even thicker set of armor and covers most of the torsos, the lower legs and a portion of the forearms, all for the same amount of weight
- US Army combat armor - A military, greener variant with private insignia`s found in the Divide.
- Camp Golf - in the sleeping quarters of the House Resort, must be stolen.
- Vault 34 - can be found in the armory.
- Bonnie Springs - found on the Viper Shadow leader.
- Gun Runners - combat armor is worn by respawning guards, whom you can kill without penalty. The Vendortron from the Gun Runners may also sell normal combat armors.
- Camp McCarran, Camp McCarran supply shack - Daniel Contreras sometimes sells combat armor.
- A combat helmet can either be bought or stolen from Miguel's Pawn Shop
- Durable Dunn's Sacked Caravan - black combat armor can be looted from two Van Graff Thugs. You can also get a couple of them while doing the Birds of a Feather quest (see the quest page for more details)
- Hoover Dam - quartermaster Bardon often has two sets of combat armor.
- Nellis Hangars - in Armor Boxes however, must be stolen from armor boxes; this will result in losing karma and ruining your reputation with the Boomers if you are caught.
- Nellis AFB - worn by Raquel.
- Combat armor is worn by the Mercenary Norton, who can be outside Jacobstown during the quest Unfriendly Persuasion.
- In a footlocker between Crescent Canyon West and Crescent Canyon East. Beware of golden geckos on your way there, as of Fallout: New Vegas patch 184.108.40.2065 this locker also contains a combat helmet.
- Big MT complex in the Old World Blues add-on. Often found in lockers at the
- Van Graff combat armor can be repaired by regular combat armor but regular combat armor can not be repaired by the black Van Graff combat armor
- The combat armor found on Van Graff thugs is colored black instead of green, similar to the combat armor used by Rivet City security in Fallout 3.
- You can find black combat armor at Durable Dunn's Sacked Caravan on a Van Graff thug. It is labeled as regular combat armor but appears the same as Van Graff combat armor.
- The combat helmet can be bought in full condition from Blake at the Crimson Caravan Company despite the fact that his inventory shows it in less than perfect condition. This is the similar to the glitch that effects recon armor when buying it from certain merchants.
- On the female version, the shirt and pants seem to be darker than the male version.
Adam Adamowicz's concept art
- The Army helmet is presented in the game as an older type of helmet, issued to uniformed troops who do not use the standard set of combat armor: Clearly visible in the tutorial segment and later on countless dead bodies throughout the Commonwealth.
- Riot gear variants available in Lonesome Road.
- Riot gear variants available in Lonesome Road.
- Visual inspection of the Army helmet in Fallout 4 shows that its material is nearly identical to modern combat helmet materials, such as the Spectra or Dyneema fibers.
- Only Operation Anchorage soldiers are shown wearing them, they are absent from domestic armor.
- Armor appearance in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.
- As shown in Fallout 4.
- US Army combat armor in Lonesome Road has the rank insignia of a Private.
- Ranger combat armor in Fallout 3.