|For an overview of combat armor variants throughout the Fallout series, see combat armor.|
Combat armor, reinforced
Combat helmet, reinforced
Modelled after the human silhouette and designed to provide balanced protection that does not limit mobility on the battlefield, combat armors are a diverse family of personal body armor of varying degrees of sophistication, from the earliest iterations of the armor developed by the United States Army to the cutting-edge riot gears that came into use prior to the Great War.
In this more advanced and expensive pre-War model, the torso is covered by the primary armor assembly, including a split breastplate, pauldrons, gorget, and abdominal ring. The sleeves of the body suit are full sleeves, and include armor plate protection for the upper and lower arms. The lower body is protected by woven trousers and incorporate no hard armor, save armored boots. In the interests of comfort and maneuverability, the armor encasing the foot and lower leg is articulated, not sealed. While this permits longer wear times and more comfortable and sure footing, it compromises the armor integrity. Consequently, water and other liquids can enter the armor and affect the user.
The helmet is a ballistic assembly, designed to protect the wearer from projectile and energy weapon impacts, bladed weapons, blunt trauma, and concussion. An integrated polarized visor protects the user's eyes from the ordinary battlefield hazards of grit and dust, but also laser blindness and fragments. Helmets also incorporate a combination camera/laser rangefinder unit built into the helmet's right side, just above the ear. Those suits of combat armor surviving in the wasteland still have the housing for that equipment, but no suit has been documented as having working hardware.
While although more expensive, the armor allows for more protection (+2 DT) for the same amount of weight for of the standard combat armor.
- Followers Safehouse - a suit in perfect condition is found on a bed, along with a matching helmet.
- Gomorrah - a suit in good condition is awarded after winning more than 6,750 chips in the casino.
- Devil's Throat - a suit in poor condition along with a party hat and authority glasses can be found in an abandoned truck near the CZ57 Avenger minigun, on a dead prospector.
- Gun Runners - sold by the Vendortron.
- Mercenary camp - the mercenary carrying the YCS/186 at the camp east of Brooks Tumbleweed Ranch is wearing a suit and helmet that are both in good condition. Note that this group is replaced by aliens by the Wild Wasteland trait.
- Walking Box Cavern - one can be found inside a duffle bag.
- Sealed sewers - can be found inside a duffle bag with the helmet
- Lakelurk cove - can be found in a Duffle bag with the suit and helmet at half condition
- It looks like regular combat armor while laying on the ground, though it is completely different from combat armor on the character.
- While in first person, many weaponry (mostly Melee Weapons and Unarmed) cause the shoulderpads to clip through the player's vision while attacking, similarly to the centurion armor shoulderpads.