|For the pre-War company, see Codac.|
A more refined twin lens reflex camera manufactured by Codac, using a conventional camera film. The combination of the rangefinder and a high-resolution lens allow for taking incredibly lifelike color pictures with minimal skill. Codac actually manufactured two types of the R9000, one without the focusing screen on top, with an integrated flash, designed for automatic picture taking, and a Deluxe version that was a genuine twin lens reflex camera, which enabled detailed picture taking and aimed at professionals.
The Codac R9000 is given to the player by Michael Angelo to photograph landmarks across the Mojave Wasteland. Although ostensibly a camera, it's coded as a weapon so that it can be pointed at the landmarks and used to shoot photos. Since it's technically a weapon, it will trigger reactions from non-player characters and comments about wasting ammunition. Although it fires invisible projectiles, it does not cause characters to go hostile (although it will generate splashes in water).
Beyond its model, it has no unique assets: It holsters like a pistol, reuses 10mm pistol animations for holstering and reloads, and uses the laser rifle, holorifle, and Red Glare's scope overlay when aimed. Oddly enough, it's set to be repaired with hunting rifles.
Behind the scenes
- The name is a reference to the camera name mentioned on Necropolis town map in the first Fallout. Before the connection was established, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas called it simply a camera.
- Curiously, there's a near-identical R9000 camera located in the game's files.
- Codac is a reference to Kodak, the company that developed the first roll film cameras.
A photograph made with the Codac R9000 camera in Fallout
The camera is marked as a quest item and due to a script error is not removed from the player's inventory once the photos are turned in.
- On the PC, it can be removed by using console commands: SetQuestObject 0011a208 0 will remove its QuestItem flag, while player.RemoveItem 0011a208 1 will delete it from inventory.
- Necropolis town map.
- Codac R9000 in New Vegas.