Broc flower cave
This scenic cave was used as a toxic waste dump by unscrupulous corporations before the Great War, with the corridors and floor absolutely littered with barrels of irradiated waste. Giant rats seem to have taken a liking to the environment, enjoying the radioactive wheat provided by the leaking barrels. Or maybe it's the glowing mushrooms that sprung up everywhere? Regardless of the attraction, the cave was used by an independent researcher to study the giant rats. Safely protected behind a reinforced fence, the researcher had all the equipment, supplies, and necessary gear to study the rats in detail. What they failed to appreciate was the sheer determination of their test subjects to get at the supply of tinned food kept at the back of the cave. The determined rats eventually burrowed through the walls and consumed the hapless scientist.
The cave is hidden above a large pond in the middle of a hilly terrain covered in numerous broc flowers, giving a bountiful harvest.
The cave is quite large, with two choices at the entrance. The player can choose to follow the left-hand path that leads to the floor of the cavern, littered with radioactive junk, barrels of waste, and many giant rats. There's some minor loot at the bottom, including an ammunition box and a long-dead adventurer with a knife and a .357 Magnum revolver in the middle, together with a copy of Lad's Life. The whole chamber is irradiated, so the path might be not worth the hassle.
The other path leads into another chamber filled with radioactive waste barrels and junk, however, it also has a second exit leading out to the northeast. This corridor leads to the ledge overlooking the cavern and the research lab of the scientist. Behind the busted bars is a cornucopia of loot, including several magazines, the unique Ratslayer and a supply of various drugs.
|The following is based on the Wild Wasteland trait and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
This cave contains one of the Wild Wasteland occurrences. Upon entering the cave, all giant rats are replaced by R.O.U.S. (Rodents of Unusual Size) from A Princess Bride. True to the name, they are large.
|End of information based on the Wild Wasteland trait.|
- Ratslayer: A unique varmint rifle that comes pre-modified with a low-light scope, an extended magazine and a silencer, leaning against the table in the lab.
- Radiation suit: On the crate behind the Ratslayer.
- Debt Collector: Lady Jane asks the player to retrieve the money she owes the Garrets from the brahmin in the cave.
Behind the scenes
- With Wild Wasteland, the R.O.U.S. that spawn here reference the 1987 movie The Princess Bride.
- The first aid box in the lab, behind one of the tables, is misaligned, placed in its default position, rather than adjusted to match the terrain below.
- Entering the cave before Debt Collector is active might cause the brahmin to despawn or be removed."player.placeatme 116af4" can help with this problem on PC versions.
The Broc Flower Cave appears in Fallout: New Vegas.