Bighorners of the Eastern Virgin
Decide what to do with the bighorner calf
- Talk to Follows-Chalk about the local wildlife.
- Navigate the canyons above the Dead Horses camp and find the lost calf back.
- Feed the lost calf a total of three banana yucca fruits along the way to lead the calf back to its mother.
- (Optional) Do not kill any bighorners along the way.
|5||Find a way up to the cliffs|
|11||Find the lost mountain bighorner calf|
|20||Get the calf to follow you back to its mother.|
|25||Get the calf to follow you back to the herd|
|26||Take the calf to Follows Chalk|
|27||Kill all of the mountain bighorners|
|30||Speak with Follows-Chalk.|
- Having the Animal Friend perk will make this quest considerably easier.
- The baby bighorner can fall off the rocks when it's following you, making travel difficult.
- It is a good idea to save up a lot of banana yucca fruit because the bighorner calf will become scared and stop following you at times. Banana yucca fruit can be found throughout Zion.
Behind the scenes
- At one point in development, the Bighorner Calf was going to be an item the player just put into their inventory. This likely made the quest completely trivial from a design perspective and was changed before release to the current version. The only asset left from when this implementation of the quest is a single icon that was left in Honest Hearts BSA.
- Sometimes the calf will not follow you even if you offer it banana yucca fruit. Also, upon completion, the mother may still remain hostile to you.
- Sometimes the calf will become stuck in the last rock bridge you have to cross before reaching the bighorner mother. Reloading an old save and trying again has worked to circumvent this. Although if the calf gets stuck in the rock you can still return it to the bighorner mother.