Battle of Rockland
Though the victory at the purifier effectively broke the Enclave's military power, at least temporarily, the disarray caused by the attack and destruction of Raven Rock was not complete. The fact that the Enclave was still capable of maintaining remote communications endangered the success of the campaign, as it would allow the Enclave to coordinate its efforts and eventually regroup and attack the Brotherhood. This could not be permitted. Through a combination of intelligence efforts and field reports, a pre-War military satellite facility at Rockland was identified as the nexus of Enclave communications.
A Brotherhood taskforce under the command of Paladin Tristan, supported by operations officer Edwards, was sent to seize the facility, disable Enclave communications, and recover any and all intel.
Paladin Tristan set up a forward base in the Rockland car tunnel, after fighting through the Enclave perimeter outposts. The Lone Wanderer, freshly inducted as a Knight, joined the assault just shortly after recovering from their coma.
The attack followed a standard pattern. Liberty Prime was deployed as spearhead, destroying the bulk of the enemy forces and bypassing their fortifications, while ground troops under Tristan's command followed the robot, mopping up any stragglers. The initial attack went well and the combat group penetrated enemy defenses right up into the facility. Liberty Prime proceeded to create an access point into the facility, by punching through the concrete walls.
However, this was a ruse by the Enclave. Liberty Prime was lured into the cul-de-sac in front of the Rockland facility in order to be destroyed. Just as he opened the facility to the Brotherhood's assault, the Enclave initated a tactical nuclear bombardment from the Bradley-Hercules orbital weapons platform, turning the area into a kill zone. Liberty Prime was destroyed, with Tristan's forces just barely able to reach minimum safe distance.
Although the robot was lost, Tristan continued with the mission. The Lone Wanderer and Edwards headed the assault on the satellite facility, clearing it of remaining Enclave personnel. Upon securing the communications equipment, a sizable quantity of encrypted data was recovered from the primary terminal. Technically, the mission parameters were fulfilled.
The destruction of Liberty Prime put the Brotherhood in a very difficult position, as it removed the only significant military advantage it had over the Enclave. Lyons had little in the way of men and resources at the beginning of the conflict with the Enclave, and after the loss of Prime all of these problems surfaced, exacerbated by the ongoing water delivery program. With the resources pooled into defense against the Enclave, the newly inducted Knight, the Lone Wanderer, was ordered to infiltrate the Olney Powerworks to retrieve a Tesla coil. The coil was a technological marvel necessary for Scribe Rothchild to begin manufacturing Tesla cannons, heavy duty pre-War energy weapons, to reduce the technological gap between the Brotherhood and the Enclave.
However, while the battle was a strategic victory for the Enclave, the Brotherhood's recovery of the encrypted data sown the Enclave's ultimate destruction. By decoding it (a process likely aided by the decapitation strikes at the Purifier and Raven Rock), the Brotherhood was able to identify the Enclave's last remaining stronghold at Adams Air Force Base.
- Reginald Rothchild: "I'll give you a brief history of what's happened over the last few weeks, and what's going on now. As you well know, this all began with the Enclave's occupation of Project Purity, here. Thanks to you, their main headquarters, here, was utterly destroyed. They then suffered a second defeat at the purifier. After their defeat at the purifier, Liberty Prime was deployed to their main headquarters, here. It has been completely destroyed. Based on a combination of intelligence and field reports, other Enclave locations throughout the Wasteland were found. Cut off from their leadership, it was expected that their forces would be in complete disarray. This has not been the case. Based on data and tech gathered from these locations, we've determined that the Enclave forces are still maintaining remote communications. We isolated the transmissions and found their origin point; an old military installation in Rockland, to the southwest. Our advance scouts have checked over the area, but no easy access to the facility was found. So we're making our own access point. Paladin Tristan is leading the team setting up a forward base in an old car tunnel near the site. Once he's settled, Liberty Prime will be deployed. Prime's directive is to neutralize their defenses and create an entry point for the team. The team will move in, eliminate any opposition inside, and cut off their transmitter. Any relevant data should be brought back here. Now, did you have any other questions?"
Reginald Rothchild's dialogue)
- Death from Above
- Liberty Prime: "Warning! Warning! Red Chinese Orbital Strike Imminent! All personnel should reach minimum safe distance immediately!"
Liberty Prime: "Repeat: Red Chinese orbital strike inbound! All U.S. Army personnel must vacate the area immediately! Protection protocols engaged!"
(Liberty Prime's dialogue)
- The Lone Wanderer: "I found some encrypted data at the relay station."
Reginald Rothchild: "Ah, yes. Well, I'll see if we can't figure out how to read it. Perhaps it can give us some insight as to just what happened out there. It would be good to salvage something from this mess. Thank you for bringing this to me. I believe Elder Lyons will want to speak with you as well. Perhaps you should find him. If you'll excuse me..."
(Reginald Rothchild's dialogue)
- The Lone Wanderer: "I'm sorry about the robot. There wasn't anything anyone could've done."
Reginald Rothchild: "Perhaps not, but that doesn't change the fact that it sets us back years... YEARS... ...and it removes the one significant military advantage we had over the Enclave."
(Reginald Rothchild's dialogue)"
- The Lone Wanderer: "I'm ready for more. What do you need?"
Tristan: "With the setbacks the Brotherhood has suffered, we find ourselves in a difficult position. All our available resources need to be positioned for the inevitable counter-attack from the Enclave. At the same time, we believe we may have developed a tool to help our chances of victory. But with everyone needed to help defend against the Enclave, we have no one to send on a recovery mission. So I'm going to have you travel to the Olney Powerworks to secure some tech for us."
- The Lone Wanderer: "Any job you've got, I can do."
Tristan: "I hope that's true. With all of the Brotherhood's resources committed to protecting against an Enclave attack, we're spread thin. So thin that we can't spare anyone to research a new weapon that might help us against the Enclave's vertibirds. At least, until now. From information we've gathered, it seems what we need may be located in the Olney Powerworks, north of that city."
- The Lone Wanderer: "Olney Powerworks? What's there?"
Tristan: "Hopefully you'll be able to find a Tesla Coil, an experimental device from before the war. Our scribes need it to complete a little surprise they've been preparing for the Enclave. Get there, get the coil, and get back as safely and quickly as possible. Any questions?"
- The Lone Wanderer: "I'm not sure what I found. Some kind of data... Maybe you can figure it out."
Reginald Rothchild: "Yes, well... We'll do our best. It won't be the first time we've had to crack one of their codes. With any luck, their lack of leadership has made them a bit sloppy and they're re-using old decryption methods we've already cracked. I'll get the Scribes started on this right away. In the meantime, you should find Elder Lyons. I believe he wants to see you."
(Reginald Rothchild's dialogue)"
- The Lone Wanderer: "'m good to go. What's next?"
Tristan: "Based on the data you brought us from the relay station, we've identified where the Enclave is basing their operation. It seems they have a second base of operations at Adams Air Force base, outside of DC. The only safe way to get there is through the Presidential Metro used by the government before the war. You're going to be on your own again for now; the rest of the Brotherhood will be providing a distraction so you can slip in undetected. Once you breach the Presidential Metro and get to Adams Air Force Base, look for the Resupply Crate. Inside, you'll find your new orders and hopefully we can put a working Tesla Cannon into your hands."