|This page is about the president who is mentioned in Fallout 3. For other characters named Abraham, see Abraham. For real world information about Lincoln, see Abraham Lincoln on Wikipedia.|
Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865) was the sixteenth President of the United States of America.
Reared in a poor family on the western frontier, Lincoln was mostly self-educated, and became a county lawyer, a Whig Party leader, and Illinois state legislator during the 1830s, and a one-term member of the United States House of Representatives during the 1840s. Elected in 1860 as the the first Republican nominee to win the office of the Presidency, Lincoln successfully led the United States through one of its greatest constitutional, military, and moral crises, the American Civil War and preserved the Union. On Thursday, November 19, 1863, he delivered the Gettysburg Address at the dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. He was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth on April 15, 1865.
Although known for many things, his role of the "Great Emancipator" is a very important aspect of his presidency to people in the Capital Wasteland, particularly to the those who reside in the Temple of the Union, a commune of escaped slaves.
- The ruins of the Museum of History is a wing dedicated to Lincoln, featuring a number of items that can be brought to the escaped slave Hannibal Hamlin, slaver Leroy Walker (who wants to destroy them, as they are icons of freedom for slaves) or historian Abraham Washington in Rivet City.
- A shrine to Lincoln can be found in the basement of Arlington House.
- "Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?"
- "Avoid popularity if you would have peace."
- "Everybody likes a compliment."
- "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."