|For an overview of 40mm grenade ammunition types in various Fallout games, see 40mm grenade.|
Created after World War II using the High–low system developed by the Germans for the 8cm Panzerabwehrwerfer 600, the 40mm grenade offers the operator the ability to deliver a large caliber explosive round to the target with very manageable recoil. The 40mm grenade achieves this by first igniting the propellant in a cup-shaped high pressure chamber, which then break through the copper cover, venting into a low pressure chamber and propelling the grenade out of its shell and towards the target. The simple, but effective solution has made the 40mm one of the most widely used grenade launcher shells in military service.
The base ammunition for any character using Explosives as their primary combat skill, the 40mm is likely to last the entire game, thanks to the available ammo types and different weapons.
Weapons using this ammunition
- Grenade launcher
- Grenade rifle
|Name||Damage||Damage Threshold||Condition||Weapons Spread||Other||Craftable||Empty Casing|
|40mm grenade||100||x 1||x 1||x 1||750 unit radius||No||None|
|40mm grenade, incendiary||75
6 for 15s
|x 1||x 1||x 1||450 unit radius||No||None|
|40mm grenade, plasma (GRA)||130||x 1||x 1||x 1||650 unit radius||No||None|
|40mm grenade, pulse (GRA)||8||x 1||x 1||x 1||+150 damage against robots
+60 damage against power armor
375 AoE radius
The basic 40mm grenade is loaded with an explosive fragmentation warhead that deals respectable damage to any target it encounters.
The base for comparison is 100 damage in a radius of 11.72 yards (10.71 meters).
40mm grenade, incendiary
A variant of the basic 40mm grenade, the warhead is loaded with an incendiary payload, designed to deal damage both through explosive force and by inflicting burns on soft targets and damaging hard ones.
It deals only 75% explosive damage (impact damage remains the same), with a blast radius that's only 60% of the base ammunition variant (7.03 yards or 6.43 meters), but also sets the target on fire, dealing a total of 90 damage over 15 seconds (6 damage per second), not reduced by armor. It's effectively an armor-piercing round.
40mm grenade, plasma (GRA)
A variant of the 40mm grenade, with a magnetic containment unit placed in the warhead. Upon impact, the unit releases a plasma blast that deals excellent damage. However, plasma blooming reduces the blast radius severely.
It deals 30% more damage than the standard grenade, but has a smaller blast radius, of 10.16 yards (9.29 meters).
40mm grenade, pulse (GRA)
A variant of the standard 40mm grenade, where the warhead was replaced with a NNEMP device that explodes on impact, creating a pulse of electromagnetic radiation damaging electronics in its vicinity. The limited amount of explosive used in the warhead limits blast damage, but there's no better weapon to use against robots or power armored troops.
It deals almost no explosive damage, but is extremely useful against robots and foes in power armor, dealing a flat 150 and 60 damage respectively. Careful aim is required, as it has a blast radius of just 5.86 yards (5.36 meters).
- Nipton: Founded in a safe, inside a trapped house (six and a grenade rifle).
- Survivalist hidden caches will hold at least one grenade, with additional six having a chance of spawning.
- 188 trading post: Arms merchant
- Goodsprings: Chet
- Hoover Dam: Quartermaster Bardon (sells in bulk, up to 200 at a time)
- Mess hall & munitions storage: Boomer munitions manager
- Novac: Cliff Briscoe
- Primm: Johnson Nash (High level spawn)
- Red Rock Canyon: Great Khan armorer
- Non-player characters
- Used by hostile raiding parties of the Legion, Vipers, and Jackals. Leaders may spawn with grenade launchers and use them against the player. Their ammo is limited and may be used up before they are dead.
- Every in Honest Hearts is guaranteed to hold at least one 40mm grenade, and can hold up to seven per bag.
- Regular and variants are occasionally sold by .
- Regular and variants sold by .
Behind the scenes
- The world model of 40mm grenades uses the one associated with .308 ammunition in Fallout 3.